H&M Version 4.5.0 Build 1344 & Windows 7

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

GN Foster

H&M Version 4.5.0 Build 1344 & Windows 7

Unread post by GN Foster »

Two Questions:
1.)
We've been using H&M Version 4.5.0 Build 1344 on a Windows XP machine for several years and would like to move it to a new Windows 7 machine. Before attempting to do so I just want to confirm that this version will correctly install and run on Windows 7. I have the orginal downloaded installer.

2.)How do I handle the License and Serial number when moving the installation to a new machine?

GN Foster
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: H&M Version 4.5.0 Build 1344 & Windows 7

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi "GN" (unusual name...),

HM 4 runs fine on Windows 7. The only restriction you will encounter is that you won't be able to "pin" it to the Taskbar because Windows doesn't allow this for programs with the name "help" and a number of other words in their titles. We've solved this in HM5 and later.

Your copy of HM4 is also out of date. To make the move, grab the 1392 Build from this page, the link is down at the bottom of the page. If you also want to try out HM6 you can install that on the same machine for testing. The two versions won't interfere with each other unless you try to install them in the same folder. 8)

Moving Help & Manual to a new computer is not a problem. First make backup copies of any files that you have created with H&M on the old machine (projects, print manual templates, graphics etc). Then just go to Windows Control Panel and uninstall on your current machine. After uninstalling, check whether the Help & Manual program directory still exists in the Program Files directory. If it does, this means that it contains edited versions of files saved by you or your co-workers. Also check the My Documents\My HelpAndManual Projects folder for files you need to back up.

Then just install on your new machine. After installing, use the Serial No. function in the Help menu to enter your serial no. and the security code you received when you purchased the program. (Keep these codes in a safe place so that you can use them to reactivate the program!). If you have lost these numbers just let us know, our Records dept. can send you a copy.

That's it! 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
GN Foster

Thanks so much Tim!

We're producing user documentation for a new product and it will be very nice to have H&M on the same machine from which we're capturing screen images.

Gary,

PS By the way, I understand that H&M is a Delphi application. Thought you might appreciate the fact that the project we're launching was developed with Delphi XE!

(Yes G stands for Gary, however, I won't reveal the meaning of N. As a young child I was adventuresome and somewhat prone to taking rules as "suggestions". Experience in life later corrected that perception but I still have vivid memories of my Mother adressing me by all three names - a clear indication that some line had been crossed. Since her death, I no longer have the priviledge of her companionship so I'll reserve GARY N___ FOSTER to her memory. Hope you find some humour in the rambling and - thanks again :D )
GN Foster

Tim,

"...After installing, use the Serial No. function in the Help menu to enter your serial no. and the security code you received when you purchased the program."

I have a PDF copy of the original invoice, the serial number is accessible from the current installation About Screen but the Security Code eludes me. I've not been able to locate it :( . Whom do I contact and what information is required from me to verify our purchase and obtain the Security Code?

Thanks

Gary
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Gary,

Just send a mail to sales AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) with your details for a copy of the original serial number and security code for activating Help & Manual. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
GN Foster

Thank you Tim - the assistance is greatly appreciated!

Gary
Fran Prendergast

Unread post by Fran Prendergast »

Hi Tim

Apologies for the question but I am not very technical - is H&M version 4.5.1 (currently used to produce to user guides in HTML Help format) compatible with Windows 7 and all Internet Explorer versions? Does the same compatibility apply when producing a Web Browser Help? Are the later H&M versions 5 and 6 compatible with Windows 7 and all Internet Explorer versions?

Kind regards

Fran
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Fran,

All versions of Help & Manual from 4 onwards are compatible with Windows 7, only Help & Manual 3 and earlier are not. The only restriction in Help & Manual 4 is that it cannot be "pinned" to the Windows 7 taskbar. That being said, I would really not recommend using version 4 any more because although the HTML it generates works in a technical sense it is pretty much outdated now. HTML itself and browsers have both changed a great deal since then. 8)
Regards,

Private support: