CHM file printing wrong subtopics

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

cindy gould

CHM file printing wrong subtopics

Unread post by cindy gould »

Hi- I have a project where I have some single topics that don't have any subtopics or parent topics. In the compiled CHM file, the single topics that are before any topics with subtopics print fine. However, the single topics that occur after topics that have subtopics don't print correctly. In the CHM file, if I click Print, then "Print the selected heading and all subtopics" it prints the last topic that has subtopics, rather than itself.

thanks,
cindy
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: CHM file printing wrong subtopics

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Cindy,

The print function in the Microsoft CHM viewer is, shall we say, just a tiny bit intelligence-challenged. In particular the option for printing topics and sub-topics will often behave strangely. If you're just printing a single topic just don't select the "subtopics" option, even though the dialog offers it, because it doesn't make sense then and will quite possibly do strange things.

The entire Microsoft CHM system is very ancient and creaky -- essentially it hasn't really been updated since it was originally released with Windows 98. :roll:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
cindy gould

Re: CHM file printing wrong subtopics

Unread post by cindy gould »

That's kind of what I figured. Thanks Tim.