New User - from Flare

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Cyclefitness

New User - from Flare

Unread post by Cyclefitness »

I am a Flare user and have just started a new contract where Help & Manual was used to create a HTML Help system. I basically need to re-write much of the content to bring it current. I'm struggling to understand what's already there because I don't see a Topic List like in Flare. Can anyone provide help on how best to understand what content is already written? Since TOC items may not give me the full picture, I need to get to the actual topic files.

Thanks!
Deb
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: New User - from Flare

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Deb and welcome to the forum!

In Help & Manual you are already editing the original topic files when you select a topic in the TOC on the left. You can view the file's XML source with the XML tab below the main editor. The TOC is really just a list of links to your topic files, and when you click on them it loads the corresponding file into the editor. Of course, not all files will have TOC entries -- you will usually also have some files that are only accessible via links in your topics, for example. You can access all the available topic files in the Project Files > Topic Files section further down in the Project Explorer on the left. In addition to the topic files with links in the TOC this also shows you the files without TOC entries. When you select the files in the Topic Files section they are also loaded into the editor, in the same way as they are in the TOC list.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Cyclefitness

Thanks so much, Tim. Unfortunately, I don't see Project Files > Topic Files. I see two tabs, Table of Contents and Index.

I'm also curious how images are re-used. I'll start another thread for that.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Deb,

Sorry, I didn't check which forum section you had posted in and assumed you were using Help & Manual 6 since you are a new user. How did you manage to switch to version 4 now? It hasn't been available for many years and is not really supported any more... 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Cyclefitness

Does telling you this is a governmental entity help to answer your question? :lol: I understand they're processing an upgrade. What is the cost of upgrade from 4? I only see upgrade pricing from 5 to 6. Thanks!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Deb,

I understand... 8)

For upgrades from all versions prior to 5 just select the "Older version" option in the drop-down for your current version at the top of the upgrade page. Then you will see your upgrade options and the pricing, including links for volume discounts. In addition to this you will probably want to see the page with the differences between the Standard, Professional and Server versions, which you can find here:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/products_hm_matrix.htm

The functionality of the Server version is identical to that of the Professional version. The difference is how the licenses are used. They are designed for larger teams in which not all users need to run the program at the same time: You install once on the server and anyone in the local network can run the program from the server without installing it locally. How many users can do this at the same time (concurrently) depends on the number of Server license keys you get -- one concurrent user per key.
Regards,

Private support: