Browsing

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Martin Mrskos

Browsing

Unread post by Martin Mrskos »

Hi Tim,

quite a long time we have been in contact so I hope you are OK.

I wonder if you would give me an advice or help me to sort my problem out.

One of my duties is to follow changes in Tax Acts (Legislative Process) and to edit and incorporate any amendment of Act to a present text. My colleague has to find and read this changes and it was difficult for him to find the new text in html page so he asked me to add some character (@) and hide it (in white ink/colour) and then use CTRL+F and browse through the text from the beginning to the end of the text.

I feel this is rather hellbent solution and I wonder if there is any other more elegant?

I was thinking about a bookmark but it is impossible to have more booklets with the same "name and/or characters" so that I wonder if there would be any possibility to add a new button in the menu of CHM help, e.g. right beside the printer button as it is shown on this picture: http://prntscr.com/d8yx75 and by clicking on it the user would browse through the text from the very beginning to the end of the text and easily follow any changes in the Act.

Or is there any other solution at all?

Thanking you very much in advance for any help.

Martin
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Browsing

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Martin,

If you are putting your text on the Internet do not ever try to hide text by making it white on a white background. Google and all other reputable search engines will most likely class that as dishonest search engine manipulation and will automatically give you a low ranking or even not index you at all.

Even if you are putting the information in a CHM, then why make it invisible? You want your users to see where the changes are, so make them visible. Highlight the changes -- with background color or special headings above the changed text or anything like that. Then you don't need any tricks. Your readers can scroll through the text and they will immediately see where the changes are.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.