WebHelp

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Martin Mrskos

WebHelp

Unread post by Martin Mrskos »

Dear Tim,

I would need to discuss quite a difficult and complicated theme (for me), that is, we are going to rewrite our application (programme) in SQL-version and project manager wants me to transform all CHM files into on-line WebHelps, and also the new ones.

I would like to stress we do still have HM4 so here comes my first question:

1. Should we move to your last version HM7, or I can still effectively work with HM4 as to WebHelp compiling?
[I have watched your Help+Manual Authoring and Publishing Tutorial at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmRi9e30QGQ and I know there are many skins even for WebHelp file(s) with responsive design. Is it really worth to begin to work with your new HM version(s)?]
What is your advice, please?

2. I have already tried to export a couple of old CHM files but I met some problems, explicitly these ones:

a/ We have got all Main Help pages entitled "hlavni" (stands for "main") and during compiling I have been asked whether I want to rewrite this page what I, of course, do not want, but then some pages are missing, of course.
So that there is probably a necessity either to rename all "hlavni/main" pages to an unique name or, to set up an individual and unique folder for each CHM file (what might be easier and less work demanding). Do I understand it correctly?

b/ Other painful problem I cannot sort out is an uncorrect Czech char set for those HTM pages inserted in help project by „Insert Plain HTML Code“, when put there HTM pages (laws and similar stuff - very important for us - and I cannot rewrite it and will probably continue with using FrontPage for that work) generated in FrontPage. If I have made/prepared any page directly in help project I have not met this problem. It does mean the problem is generated during webhelp file compilation.
Would you help me to find the problem of uncorrect Czech char set displaying, please?

[I wanted to submit an example in ZP01_16_U2B_2.RAR, but "The extension rar is not allowed.", so that how can I do it, please?
Shall I upload it somewhere to SendIt.com and then forward the link to your e-mail? Advice, please.]

Thanking you in advance for your kind help, advice, & reply.

Martin
U2Brno s.r.o.

[The list of implemented laws (HTM):
155_1995_sb_150_2017
155_1995_sb_24_2017
187_2006_sb_24_2017
187_2006_sb_99_2017
329_2011_sb_329_2014
376_2015_sb
48_1997_sb_150_2017
48_1997_sb_66_2017
582_1991_sb_24_2017
582_1991_sb_99_2017
589_1992_sb_24_2017
589_1992_sb_99_2017
592_1992_sb_145_2017

i.e. where you can see the uncorrect Czech char set...]
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: WebHelp

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Martin,
1. Should we move to your last version HM7, or I can still effectively work with HM4 as to WebHelp compiling?
The HTML code generated by HM4 is really out of date. It will still "work" but I would strongly recommend upgrading to the current version if you want to produce contemporary WebHelp that will also work on mobile devices. That is impossible with HM4.
[I wanted to submit an example in ZP01_16_U2B_2.RAR, but "The extension rar is not allowed.", so that how can I do it, please?
Shall I upload it somewhere to SendIt.com and then forward the link to your e-mail? Advice, please.]
Please don't try to post entire sample projects to the forum. That is unnecessary and also a waste of time. Always send them directly to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) If your attachments are too large to send, just mail us a download link for a zip or rar file.
a/ We have got all Main Help pages entitled "hlavni" (stands for "main") and during compiling I have been asked whether I want to rewrite this page what I, of course, do not want, but then some pages are missing, of course.
Sorry, but I am not clear what you are talking about here. However, since you can always re-publish, I would suggest just accepting the recommendation and then see what the result is like. That is the quickest way to get an answer to a question like that -- just try it. Nothing will explode, and you can always try something else again.
So that there is probably a necessity either to rename all "hlavni/main" pages to an unique name or, to set up an individual and unique folder for each CHM file (what might be easier and less work demanding). Do I understand it correctly?
Unfortunately, I can't answer this question because I don't understand what you are referring to here. Perhaps you could mail me a sample at the above address.
will probably continue with using FrontPage
Please do NOT use FrontPage for anything, ever. It is the worst HTML editor ever created and the HTML it produces is garbage.
b/ Other painful problem I cannot sort out is an uncorrect Czech char set for those HTM pages inserted in help project by „Insert Plain HTML Code“,
This is probably due to the editor you are using to paste the text into the HTML Code Object editor. Even though the characters may look correct when you paste them, if they are encoded incorrectly they will be wrong in the output. You need to use an editor that supports UTF8 encoding and you need to make sure that the source file is set to UTF8 before you copy and paste from it. For example, you can use the free Notepad++ editor, which is excellent and fully supports UTF8. It can also convert existing files to UTF8 correctly.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Mrskos

Dear Tim,

first of all: many thanks for your reply.

I have already downloaded the trial version of HM7 and tomorrow will start to work with - my colleague project manager would like to see a result before we decide to purchase. Any advice before I begin?

What price we would get, please? Is there any discount if we already have a license for HM4?

---

Concerning the problem I have mentioned and I am going to try to explain it once more:

We have got an old CHM files where each first Topic ID (Help Window = Main) is entitled "hlavni" (translated as "main" in English), see the screen, please:
Screenshot_5.jpg
So if I convert the second CHM file into WebHelp and compile it (after the first one has already been converted) I'll get a message whether I want to rewrite this "hlavni" page what I, of course, do not want, because they are not same (each one has a different content), and if I would confirm its overwriting then some pages would be missing or lost. It happens when I use one folder only.

So that there probably are, I guess, only two options how to sort it out:

a/ either to rename all "hlavni/main" pages to an unique name (something like e.g. ZP01_16_U2B_2_hlavni, SP01_16_U2B_2_hlavni, and 5557_2_U2B_1_hlavni as to 3 above mentioned examples) or,
b/ to set up an individual and unique folders (such as: ZP01_16_U2B_2, SP01_16_U2B_2, and 5557_2_U2B_1 and so on) for each CHM file being converted and compiled in WebHelp (what might be easier and less work demanding).

Do you understand what is my problem?

Again, thank you very much for your help & advices.

Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Martin,
my colleague project manager would like to see a result before we decide to purchase. Any advice before I begin?
The trial version is fully functional so you can generate all kinds of output for demo purposes as you like. The only restrictions are that there will be a copyright notice on every page, random hyperlinks will be disabled and random words will be "scrambled" in the output. All these restrictions are removed after purchasing, of course.

If you have a HM4 license you qualify for a reduced-price upgrade. Purchase from the upgrade page and select "older version" as the version you currently have to see your upgrade options and pricing in your local currency:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/order.html ... on=upgrade

On your topic ID problem: If there is just one topic with this ID in each project then it is very simple to solve. Select the topic in Help+Manual, then select the Topic Options tab and add a prefix to the ID (for example iie_hlavni, iic_hlavni and so on...). All references to the topic within the project will be changed automatically. Any external references to the topic from other projects or other web pages will need to be updated, however. This will only be necessary if you plan to combine these projects in a single modular project, of course.

If you have multiple topics that need this change in a single project you can use the Toolbox utility in the Premium Pack add-on. This utility includes a tool with which you can globally add prefixes to all the topics in a project.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Mrskos

Many thanks, Tim.

I have installed HM7 and started to prepare demos and translated your replies to our project manager.

I hope to come back to you very soon with news.

Martin
Martin Mrskos

Dear Tim,

Purchase information:

What is difference between Help+Manual 7 Basic (Per-seat)
$199.90 $0.00

and:
Help+Manual 7 Professional (Per-seat)
$389.90 $0.00,

please?

---

Would be Help+Manual 7 Basic enough for me? Or do we need Professional Version?

And how about Help+Manual Premium Pack - do we need it? I understand there are more Advanced Responsive Skins and that we would get it for each upgrade license and save 35% on the Premium Pack. I read there are also Other Features... Is it worth to purchase it together with upgrade?

Our project manager has successfully visit http://www.ec-software.com:
p1.png
But I am not able to set the page up for our local currency:
p2.jpg
Why?

Thanks again,

Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Martin,

You can see the differences between the versions here:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/products_hm_matrix.html

The most important points for professional use that you don't get in the Basic version:
  • Search option in WebHelp (users can search for terms in the text of the entire help)
  • Support for multi-user editing (multiple users can work on the same project)
  • Support for version control systems (enables complete backup record and remote multi-user editing, also offline)
  • Index tool (edit the keyword index as a complete list)
  • Publishing tasks (define lists of publishing jobs to be performed automatically)
  • Style repositories (share stylesheets and reusable content between projects)
  • Generate Kindle and iBooks/ePub eBooks
  • Support for translation and localization
Currency: When you continue to the checkout page you will be able to choose your local currency.
Regards,

Private support: