Putting version numbers in print/PDF output

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dean Whitlock

Putting version numbers in print/PDF output

Unread post by Dean Whitlock »

I am learning Hmdesigner to see if I can adapt the print templates to our existing PDF manual format. We always put the version number of the software on the cover page, title page, and in the footer. The version number varies from module to module (not my fault - I'm just the scribe!), so I can't put in static text and simply change the template from upgrade to upgrade.

I notice that there is variable called <%AUTHOR%>, which is not listed in the Hmdesigner help. I don't suppose there are other undocumented variables, including user-designed variables I could use to input the version number at build time? Or is there a way I could put the version number into the Author variable? Where does the software find the value for the Author variable?

I thought about using the Copyright variable for the version number, but I also need a copyright date.

Thanks,
Dean
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Dean,

You can use all the global and user-defined variables from your H&M project in the Print Manual Designer. You can define your own version number variable or use the integrated three-part version number variable, which uses the Major, Minor and Build version numbers you enter on the Project Properties > Common Properties > Title & Copyright page.

See this topic in the help for a list of the variables (including the version no. ones) and links to more information:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... global.htm
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
matthewj

Unread post by matthewj »

I particularly like the new Variables file, which is now supported by FinalBuilder too.

If anyone knows if I can use an INI file format then it would be much easier to write to!

Matthew
Dean Whitlock

Unread post by Dean Whitlock »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for pointing me to the answer - it works fine now. Another great feature!

I would guess from the writing style and various quirks of English usage that you did not write the help for the print designer. (The online help for H&M4 is quite well done, IMHO.) Please tell the author that it needs an update to reference the global variables. Also some discussion of how the font settings in the designer interact with the Print File View settings in dynamic styles - but I will ask that question in a different topic so others can find it.

Dean