"Action Canceled" MS update 896358 blocks CHMs

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Shane,
So the question is this, for new electronic documentation, that will most probably be installed on a network, which format would you run with;
If your help is going to be installed on a network you should not use either CHM or HLP. WinHelp is more than a bit of a dog and it will NOT work in Vista; all you will get will be an error message. Microsoft has promised a "reader" for WinHelp for Vista, but this has not materialized yet and it is very likely that it will be only a reader, not supporting any kinds of calls to the help from your application.

The only real option for help on networks at the moment is Browser-based Help. This is robust and completely cross-platform -- it will work on all browsers on Windows, Mac and Linux, even on old browsers and browsers with JavaScript turned off. It elminates all the problems you have with CHMs on networks and you can also create context calls to Browser Help using normal URLs, with the syntax:

index.html?topicid.htm#anchorid

Where index.html is the index file of your compiled help, topicid is the ID of the topic you want to access in all lower case letters and anchorid is the name of an optional anchor (jump target) in a topic.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
pfalcon

Unread post by pfalcon »

Vista seems to have thrown another interesting spanner - the file names/paths must match exactly. This causes a problem if you get an automated installer to create the necessary entries (using HHreg or not) when "Program Files" becomes "Progra~1". This can sometimes be difficult to control.

I just spent a frustrating hour trying to pin this one down...sigh.

Can I suggest two things for the next version of HHReg:

- Auto translate short to long filenames (or perhaps just automatically create keys for BOTH)
- Please put a certificate on this EXE.