Ranking search topics

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

tinat

Ranking search topics

Unread post by tinat »

Hi,
I know this is probably not a possibility, but I figured I would ask anyways. When I do a search, I would like a particular topic to be ranked #1, 2, or 3. However, it is currently being ranked 21. I understand in the first 20 topics the search term is returning more hits. Is there any way I can add the search term somewhere behind the scenes so this particular topic will return more hits and be ranked higher? There's just no way I can add the term 20 more times on the page itself and not look ridiculous. I know it's a long shot, but just in case....
Thanks, Tina
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

UPDATED Sept. 11, 2015:

The method that was originally suggested here is no longer recommended. See my comment further below:

http://helpman.it-authoring.com/viewtop ... 289#p57289
Last edited by Tim Green on Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinat

Unread post by tinat »

Okay, now the search term is showing at the bottom of the page. This is the code I put in:
<span style="display: hidden;">collection agency collection agency collection agency collection agency collection agency
collection agency collection agency collection agency collection agency collection agency
collection agency collection agency collection agency collection agency collection agency
</span>
tinat

Unread post by tinat »

Hi Tim,
Is there something I missing that is causing this to show? I inserted your code exactly as it is. Am I missing a step?
Thanks, Tina
Tim Green
Site Admin

Tina,

No, it's not your mistake it's the heat got to my brain. That should be display: none;, not hidden. Then it will work. Sorry... :x (I've corrected it now in my original post.)
tinat

Unread post by tinat »

Bingo!! Works perfect - thanks!!
Thanks, Tina
Simon Dismore

Ranking search topics

Unread post by Simon Dismore »

Tina, Tim
Tim Green wrote:This one's quite easy: Go right down to the bottom of the topic in question and select Insert > Plain HTML Code. Then insert the following code...
I found an alternative approach that boosts the rankings of all topic keywords in a browser-based search. This makes sense when the keywords are the most important search terms. For details see this tip/trick.

Simon
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Ranking search topics

Updated comment on this:

If your WebHelp is on the open Internet and is being indexed by Google and other search engines, please never use the suggested method of creating invisible text with multiple copies of keywords. The same applies to adding multiple copies of keywords to the keyword meta tag, or to the keywords assigned to your topics, which do the same thing. Tricks like this are one of the best ways to get Google to blacklist your site, or at least seriously reduce your page rankings, as they are considered to be black hat SEO techniques. It's fine to use the ZOOMWORDS or ZOOMPAGEBOOST meta tags recommended by Wrensoft, but stay away from tricky tricks with hidden text. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.