Internal error when trying to compile...

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

some1

Internal error when trying to compile...

Unread post by some1 »

Hi all.

I have an error message, when trying to compile my project.All was OK until i changed keywords of some topics. Unfortunatelly, i have already saved this changes, so i cant say - is it the reason of my problem or not.

Message text:

"An internal error has occurred. An error record has been saved to c:\.err"

".err" file listing:

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 13:17:36

HHA Version 4.74.8702
htmlproc.cpp(114) : Assertion failure: (pszTmp == m_pCompiler->m_pHtmlMem->psz)
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

How does the error message look like? A message box, or a line of text in the compiler log of Help & Manual?
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
some1

Unread post by some1 »

Like a message box:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
some1

Unread post by some1 »

Here is the compiler log:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
some1

Unread post by some1 »

So how i have to deal with this problem? Help please!
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Please first check if there is something wrong with the setup of the HTML Help compiler. You can check and correct compiler Registry problems with a very useful free utility called MJ's Diagnostics, which you can download here:

http://helpware.net/downloads/index.htm#MJs

You don't need to install it. Just run the EXE and then select the "MJ's Diagnostics" item in the menu and click on "Generate Diagnostics Report..." The KeyHelp, RoboHelp DLL and MS Help 2 components are not relevant for HTML Help.

If you find any problems you can correct them by running the check again with the "Refresh Registration" option selected.

If this doesn't work you can try downloading and installing the latest version of the MS HTML Help Compiler here:

http://www.ec-software.com/reshelp.htm

Before installing go to the Windows Control Panel and uninstall your current version of HTML Help Workshop and then restart Windows.

Note that when you install HTML Help Workshop it will display a confusing message saying that your computer "already has a more recent version of HTML Help". This is a typically obtuse Microsoft message that only refers to the runtime components for *displaying* HTML Help, which are always more recent than those in the compiler package on computers running anything later than Windows 98.

After reinstalling the compiler start H&M and go to Tools - Customize - Compilers and make sure that the path to hhc.exe in the "HTML Help Compiler" field points to the directory where you just reinstalled the compiler.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Alex Gurevich

Re: Internal error when trying to compile...

Unread post by Alex Gurevich »

Please help me! I have the similar problem.

Last two days I always receive the following error in my project:
HHA Version 4.74.8702
What does it mean? What could I do to overcome it?
Last edited by Alex Gurevich on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Gurevich

Here is my HelpReport.htm file.
It seems me all is OK.

MJ's Help Report
A common problem with HTML Help 1.x is DLLs not correctly registered during installation. This utility checks all components and registers DLLs if required. We also report if the RoboHelp DLL is registered, and if MS Help 2 components are installed and registered.

After running the report, try running your program again to see if the fault has cleared.
General Info
Report EXE: D:\Alex\Biblio ÈÑÏÁ\ÈÑÏÁ - Ðóêîâîäñòâî àäìèíèñòðàòîðà\MJsDiag.exe
Report Run Date: 18.01.2013 12:57:02
Report EXE Version: 2.7.2.0
Download URL: http://helpware.net/downloads/

Operating System: Windows NT 6.1.7601
SysLocale.DefaultLCID: 0x0419 (1049)
SysLocale.PriLangID: 0x0019 (25)
SysLocale.SubLangID: 0x0001 (1)
DecimalSeparator: ,

HH Installed: YES
HH Version: 6.1.7600.16385
HH Friendly Version: > 1.4a

H2 Installed: YES
H2 Version: 2.5.50727.42

IE Installed: YES
IE Version: 6.1.7601.17514
IE Friendly Version: Internet Explorer 6 (Windows Server 2003)
NT Administrator
NT Admin Check: Current user has full administor privileges: YES
HTML Help Run-time Components
File Register ** Failed **: C:\Windows\system32\hhctrl.ocx (Version: 6.1.7600.16385)
File Register ** Failed **: C:\Windows\system32\itss.dll (Version: 6.1.7600.16385)
File Register ** Failed **: C:\Windows\system32\itircl.dll (Version: 6.1.7601.17514)

File Found: C:\Windows\system32\hhctrl.ocx
Version = 6.1.7600.16385
Registry Info: {adb880a6-d8ff-11cf-9377-00aa003b7a11}
ClassName = HHCtrl Object
InProcServer32 = C:\Windows\System32\hhctrl.ocx
ProgID = Internet.HHCtrl.1
DLL is Found and Registered OK = YES

File Found: C:\Windows\system32\itss.dll
Version = 6.1.7600.16385
Registry Info: {5D02926A-212E-11D0-9DF9-00A0C922E6EC}
ClassName = Microsoft InfoTech IStorage System
InProcServer32 = C:\Windows\System32\itss.dll
ProgID = MSITFS1.0

File Found: C:\Windows\system32\itircl.dll
Version = 6.1.7601.17514
Registry Info: {4662DAA5-D393-11D0-9A56-00C04FB68BF7}
ClassName =
InProcServer32 = C:\Windows\System32\itircl.dll
ProgID = ITIR.WordWheelBuild.4

For HH Version Info See: http://helpware.net/htmlhelp/hh_info.htm
HTML Help 1.x Registry Settings
Description: If present this Key can disable HH Shortcuts and HH WinHelp commands on the local PC
Reference: KB 810687, KB 323180

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\
Value: HelpQualifiedRootDir (string value) =
-> Report: Policy is not enabled. HH Shortcuts are not restricted on local machine.

Description: This key can be used to enable Hhctrl.ocx ActiveX Visual controls on servers
Reference: KB 892675

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\HHRestrictions
Value: UrlAllowList (string value) =
Value: MaxAllowedZone (string value) =
-> Report: Settings reported for information only.

Description: This key allows MS programs such as iexplore.exe to open ITS file that do not have a .CHM file extension
Reference: KB 873343

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\HelpRestrictions\AllowedExtensions
-> Report: No special file extensions have been enabled on this PC.

Description: This key can be used to allow access to remote ITS files
Reference: Win 2003 SP1, KB 896054

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\ItssRestrictions
Value: UrlAllowList (string value) =
Value: MaxAllowedZone (string value) =
Value: NestedProtocolList (string value) =
-> Report: Settings reported for information only.

For HH Registry Info See: http://helpware.net/htmlhelp/hh_info.htm#hh14
HTML Help 1.x Workshop Components
File Registered OK: C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop\cnvcnt.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
File Registered OK: C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop\cnvtoc.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
File Registered OK: C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop\gencnv.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
File Registered OK: C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop\hhcout.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
File Registered OK: C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop\hhkout.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
File Registered OK: C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop\itcc.dll (Version: 4.72.7277.0)
File Registered OK: C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop\navout.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
File Registered OK: C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop\spcom.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
File Registered OK: C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop\sprbuild.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
File Registered OK: C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop\spredit.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
File Registered OK: C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop\sprfile.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
File Registered OK: C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop\sprlog.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)

File Found: C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop\hhw.exe (Version: 4.74.8702.0)
File Found: C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop\advpack.dll (Version: 5.0.2116.100)
File Found: C:\Windows\system32\hhsetup.dll (Version: 6.1.7600.16385)
File Found: C:\Windows\system32\hha.dll (Version: 4.74.8702.0)
KeyHelp OCX by Keyworks.net - KeyHelp.ocx
This is for information only. KeyHelp is a 3rd party DLL.
*** KeyHelp.ocx is not registered or not installed!
*** You can register your KeyHelp.ocx using the "Register a DLL" button.
*** KeyHelp.ocx could be installed anywhere on your PC by normally resides in the Windows System folder.

For More Info See: http://keyworks.net/
RoboHelp DLL by eHelp/Macromedia - HHActiveX.dll
This is for information only. HHActiveX is a 3rd party DLL.
*** HHActiveX.dll is not registered or not installed!
*** You can register your HHActiveX.dll using the "Register DLL..." button.
*** HHActiveX.dll could be installed anywhere on your PC.

For More Info See: http://www.macromedia.com/
MS Help 2 Run-time Components
File Found: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\Help\HxDs.dll
Version = 2.5.50727.42
Registry Info: {31411198-A502-11D2-BBCA-00C04F8EC294}
ClassName = HxSession Class
InProcServer32 = C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\hxds.dll
ProgID = HxDS.HxSession.1

File Found: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\Help\HxVz.dll
Version = 2.5.50727.1826
Registry Info: {314111B8-A502-11D2-BBCA-00C04F8EC294}
ClassName = Microsoft Help 2.0 Contents Control
InProcServer32 = C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\hxvz.dll
ProgID = HxVz.HxTocCtrl.1

More info on H2 can be found at: http://helpware.net/mshelp2/h20.htm
MS Help 2 SDK Components
*** File Not Found: hxCsrv.exe
*** File Not Found: hxComp.exe
*** File Not Found: hxConv.exe
*** File Not Found: hxReg.exe
*** File Not Found: hxMerge.exe
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Alex,

For reasons known only to Microsoft, the CHM compiler occasionally "loses" its registrations and other data. You just need to reinstall it to refresh it. You can get the correct version of the MS HTML Help Workshop compiler package here:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads_mscomp.html

Before installing go to the Windows Control Panel and uninstall your current version of HTML Help Workshop and then restart Windows. Then run the installer you downloaded with the above link.

Note that when you install HTML Help Workshop it will display a confusing message saying that your computer "already has a more recent version of HTML Help". This can be ignored. It only refers to the runtime components for displaying HTML Help, which are always more recent than those in the compiler package on computers running anything later than Windows 98.

After reinstalling the compiler restart Windows. Then start H&M and go to View - Program Options - Compilers and make sure that the path to hhc.exe in the "HTML Help Compiler" field points to the directory where you just reinstalled the compiler.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alex Gurevich

After the reinstallation of the current version of HTML Help Workshop I have the same problem.
In the end of the reinstallation I have received a message “This computer already has a newer version of HTML Help” (although I have uninstalled a current version of HTML Help Workshop with the Windows Control Panel and restarted Windows) (I use Windows 7).
Then I have received a next message “HTML Help Workshop install complete”.
Alex Gurevich

The path in in the "HTML Help Compiler" field is correct:
C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop\hhc.exe
But...
Alex Gurevich

I use the Version 5.3.1.
And the text of the error is concerning to the Version 4:
HHA Version 4.74.8702
Is it important?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Alex,
In the end of the reinstallation I have received a message “This computer already has a newer version of HTML Help”
I explained that that message would come and that you should ignore it. It is a Microsoft error that has existed for over ten years. 8)
I use the Version 5.3.1.
That is your version of Help & Manual and it is completely out of date. The error message is referring to the compiler, which is completely different. But none of this is relevant until you update Help & Manual.

Please download and install version 5.6 from the link down at the BOTTOM of this page (I hope you can see this instruction this time, because it is important):

http://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html

If you continue to have problems it may be something in your project, or it may be that your Windows installation is borked and needs to be reinstalled. First try compiling on a different computer, if possible. If it works there, you know your Windows installation has a problem. If it doesn't, please mail a copy of your project (just the HMXZ file) to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we'll check it for you.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alex Gurevich

I use the Version 5.3.1.

That is your version of Help & Manual and it is completely out of date. The error message is referring to the compiler, which is completely different. But none of this is relevant until you update Help & Manual.

Please download and install version 5.6 from the link
Dear Tim,

Could we use the same Serial No and Activation Code for the version 5.6 (as for the one 5.3.1)?
Alex Gurevich

I have installed the version 5.6 over our old version 5.3.1.
So we have a problem in the version 5.6 with links to other topics in the project.
We have to use the Russian font and I think the problem is that the new version can’t understand Russian font (Cyrillic) in the field Target.
In the version 5.3.1 it worked very good.

A test example is included (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1ngiKZ ... hzZDQ/edit). Open please the topic Introduction and then try to use Link to the Russian topic. The hyperlink doesn’t work.