find and replace hyperlinks

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

manuel

find and replace hyperlinks

Unread post by manuel »

Hey,

i wondered if it is possible to find & replace hyperlinks?
Problem is that i have placed hundreds of links to different documents on our intranet and our IT-department decided that the structure of our intranet will change :( , meaning that for example a file placed exists at "f:\folder1\folder2\folder3\document.txt" will be placed at for example "g:\folder5\folder6\document.txt".

As ypu may expect ALL links will NOT work anymore because they have changed.
Is it possible to "find and replace" those links within help and manual ? And if so, how is it done the quickest ?

Thank you.

Jose Manuel.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Jose,

You can't do this within Help & Manual itself. However, if you have the Professional version you can export all your topics to a single XML file, find and replace all hyperlink references in the XML file and then re-import the XML.

To do this select File > Compile and choose XML as the export format and choose the "Single XML file" option. Also select "Export Project Properties" and "Export Headings". Then you can do the search and replace in the main XML file in the topics subfolder of the XML output package.

To re-import the XML it is best to create a new project, which is really the same as opening the XML file package as though it were a save format (the XML package contains everything that your project file contains). Select File > New, and then select the option for importing from XML.

Tip: When you change your hyperlinks I would recommend using a variable instead of just changing them to the new address. Just define one or more variables for your address(es) in Project Properties > Common Properties > Text Variables. Then if your administrator changes them again you just need to change the variable definition.

You can use variables in hyperlinks by typing them in manually, using the syntax <%VARIABLE_NAME%>. You can also replace the appropriate parts of your hyperlink addresses with variables when you search and replace in the XML, but then you must search and replace using this syntax:

<%VARIABLE_NAME%>
manuel

Unread post by manuel »

Just wanted to say thanks to you for the quick response.
You made my day. :D

Regards,

Jose Manuel
kcpt-help

Change file path in links : Thank you for the help

Unread post by kcpt-help »

Yet again your software has vindicated my decision to switch help building software.

Thank you.
DanCooperstock

Unread post by DanCooperstock »

Can I really encourage you to add a search and replace in Hyperlinks feature to the program though? This should not only be available as a somewhat laborious process to those who choose to buy the professional version. It is likely to be a common problem. (I just ran into it myself.)

Thanks.
Dan Cooperstock info@Software4Nonprofits.com
Dean Whitlock

Unread post by Dean Whitlock »

Hi Dan,

You should add your request to the wish list. That way it won't get overlooked the next time the developers are deciding what to add. It might get passed over, but at least it won't be overlooked... :roll:

This one may already be in the wish list in fact. If it is, add a post of support. The more requests for the same wish, the more likely it will be made real.

Best,
Dean