Create mini TOC in Top Level Intro

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

hubby2laura

Create mini TOC in Top Level Intro

Unread post by hubby2laura »

I am testing H&M to try to more or less duplicate our existing PDF docs. So far it is going very well.

The only thing I have not been able to duplicate is the mini TOC at the beginning of each section of our documentation. In H&M this would be on the Top Level Intro Page.

I have part of it working. On the Top Level Intro Page I display the Section title (ie: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc). I can get a single Heading2 or Heading3 to display, but if the section contains more than one heading 2 (or heading 3), I cannot get these to display.

For example, I would like:

Chapter 2
Key Topics
Intro to Building Widgets and Gadgets.... 22
Building Widgets.......................................24
Building Gadgets.......................................27

Iis it possible to have muliple Heading1s and Heading2s display on the Top Level Intro Page.

Thanks (Great product by the way. Wish I had found it years ago!!!!)
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi "hubby2laura",

This won't work because none of the variables you need are supported on the top level intro page. Both the HEADINGx and BEGINPAGEx variables that you would need for the topic titles are only supported in this way in the Table of Contents Section. You could manually insert a text object containing the text you need (for example the topic titles) but if you also wanted page numbers you would have to update them manually every time you compile, which would be a bit of a drag.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
DPMan

Re: Create mini TOC in Top Level Intro

Unread post by DPMan »

Hi,

I agree. Right now we have to tediously build this mini TOC ourselves.

Is there not a way to automate this?

Just bring in the titles and have them linked for all other topics on the same level or below as the current topic?
Tim Green
Site Admin

There is really no practical way to do this at the moment. Manual links are the only option. :?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Beth Harrison

Unread post by Beth Harrison »

Hello,

I notice that this conversation was from a few years ago, and am wondering if later versions of H&M provide some way to add a mini-TOC to the top-level intro page now? I'd really like to be able to this to my PDF version of my guide.

Thanks very much,
Beth
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Beth,

This is still not currently available and to be honest demand for something like this has been effectively nil up till now. However, you could still try posting a request in the Wish List section, which is monitored by our developers. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Beth Harrison

Unread post by Beth Harrison »

Thanks Tim! I appreciate the reply.

Beth