How to eliminate "Your content page goes here..."

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

grobbins

How to eliminate "Your content page goes here..."

Unread post by grobbins »

Could someone please let me know how to eliminate the automated text (below) that is inserted at the start and end of my RTF documents produced from H&M4.x?

I thought it would be in the print template, but don't see it.
Thanks,
Garth
grobbins@smithmicro.com

In MS-Word, select INDEX AND CONTENTS from the INSERT menu.
Select CONTENTS and click OK.

An index page was added to the end of this document."

In MS-Word, select INDEX AND CONTENTS from the INSERT menu.
Select INDEX and click OK."
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Garth,

This page is always generated, you can't turn it off. Just replace it with a TOC generated by Word or delete it after generating the RTF file.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
grobbins

Unread post by grobbins »

Thanks for the reply.
Pretty funny, considering all the work that goes into automating everything.
MGS21168

Unread post by MGS21168 »

Hi,

Is it possible to eliminate these automatic "Contents" and "Index" pages from RTF output using HM5?

Thank you,
- Martin
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Martin,
MGS21168 wrote:Is it possible to eliminate these automatic "Contents" and "Index" pages from RTF output using HM5?
No, they are needed as placeholders as you need to use the Contents and Index functions in Word to generate the contents and index in an RTF file. Really, however, you should not be using RTF at all. It is an awful format for documentation of any kind and support for it is only provided for backward compatibility. Unless it cannot be avoided you should always use PDF instead of RTF. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
jarvis24

Re: How to eliminate "Your content page goes here..."

Unread post by jarvis24 »

One useful application for this is to generate a readme.rtf file based on a "setup" topic in the help file. For example, I need to generate a readme.rtf for my InstallShield package, and for those who want to see it before downloading my software. Because I have it included as a topic in my Help file, I can make changes to it in H&M and then the changes will automatically update the readme.rtf file by publishing it as an rtf. I simply check th eoption to use selected topics only and select the appropriate topic. I agree with the current suggestion that it would be a nice option to elimate the automatic header and footer text regarding the TOC and index. For a single topic (such as a readme or setup rtf), it doesn't make sense and it would nice to not have to manually edit it to remove them. While I'm agreeing--it would also be nice to make the topic selection constant--i.e., to say "I'd always like it to contain JUST this topic or these topics", sort of thing. That all would make it such an easy way tyo auto update my readme files (and license files, and other files that need to exist in dupicate (but rtf) form.

Thanks!

PS, was nice to be able to find this post first off when simply googling Help and Manual "Your content page goes here" :)