PowerPoint Slideshow in Help File

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Peter Wyman

PowerPoint Slideshow in Help File

Unread post by Peter Wyman »

I am tying to add a PowerPoint slideshow into a help and manual .chm file. I tried both OLE embedding and OLE linking without success (followed the process described in the help file - Choose Insert --> OLE Object --> Selected create from file --> Navigate to file --> either check or leave unchecked the LInk box). The resulting file works correctly and launches the PowerPoint slideshow in project format, but when I complie from .hmx to.chm, the slideshow no longer works.

What am I doing wrong?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Peter,

You're not doing anything wrong, it's just impossible. 8) OLE objects must be converted to bitmap graphics in all the output formats supported by Help & Manual, so you can only use formats that can be converted to static bitmaps. The only way to "include" a live PowerPoint slideshow would be to distribute the PowerPoint file together with your HTML Help CHM file and link to it with a file link, using Insert > Hyperlink > File Link. The PP file must be in the same folder as the CHM file, otherwise it will not work.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dean Whitlock

Unread post by Dean Whitlock »

Tim,

Would there be an advantage to using a video or Flash instead of the PowerPoint file? You would still need to use a file link and include the source presentation, but I would think you might find that more users can play the show, unless you're shipping a .pps file that includes the PowerPoint player. Any comments?

Thanks,
Dean
Peter Wyman

Unread post by Peter Wyman »

Thanks for the assistance! Since I am publishing to a small number of in-house staff, I know that they have PowerPoint on their PCs so a .pps format works fine for this situation.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Dean Whitlock wrote:Would there be an advantage to using a video or Flash instead of the PowerPoint file?
This would really depend what is in the PowerPoint file. Generally it's a lot easier to create an interactive PPT presentation than it is to create the same thing in Flash -- and PowerPoint is a tool that most people are familiar with. I'm not sure whether there are any viable tools for converting PPT to Flash.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
SteveBarnett

Unread post by SteveBarnett »

Tim Green wrote:I'm not sure whether there are any viable tools for converting PPT to Flash.
We've had some success with Camtasia Studio if you get stuck for a tool.

Steve