Automatic Compiling of PDF: more than 100 pages/topic

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Leippe

Automatic Compiling of PDF: more than 100 pages/topic

Unread post by Leippe »

I automatically compile my projects with Finalbuilder.

Since the new PDF engine was implemented, I receive the warning »Topic requires more than 100 pages to print . Continue?«.

Can the message be suppressed, so that Finalbuilder does not stop?

[V 4.3 Build 1236]
Last edited by Leippe on Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

This has already been reported and a "Cancel" button was added. The question now is, why do you have any single topics with that many pages? No user will ever read more than the first few pages. And if you have set up a single long topic with multiple TOC items pointing to it with anchors at different points that's also not all that efficient -- it won't give you any advantages in the compiled help and it will make editing a lot more difficult.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Leippe

Unread post by Leippe »

Good morning Tim,
in my opinion the announcement is unnecessary. So that Finalbuilder does not break off, I alter the project in such a way that every topic generates less than 100 pages in the PDF file.
Sometimes it absolutely makes sense to have such topics. In my case it simply concerns several charts of municipalities with identity figures for a accounting software.
jarvis24

Unread post by jarvis24 »

When I compile for Browser based help, no problem. But when I compile for PDF, my content is saved with about 1 line per page, resulting in about 3600 pages instead of 100. If I rtry Print Preview, it looks great. It's just when I do the PDF compile. I have done PDF compliles in the past with this project and there has been no problem. Ihave the latest version of H&M. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Blair
jarvis24

Unread post by jarvis24 »

Forget it, found the answer on another post. I had installed a label printer and that had somehow been set as my default printer. I set the default back to a sensible printer and all is well. I guess that means if I were printing my manual onto mailing labels, I could do it with 3600 of them.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

jarvis24 wrote:I guess that means if I were printing my manual onto mailing labels, I could do it with 3600 of them.
:D That would be cute... 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.