Full-text search in Browser-based Help

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

LBrundage

Unread post by LBrundage »

This is exactly the problem I am now having. When I try to compile browser based help, it hangs at the message "Generating Full-Text search. I have even tried creating a very small project and still get this error.

The project is on my hard drive and my output is compiling to my hard drive as well. I am running version 4.3.2 Build 1255 and have .97GB of RAM.

Any help at all would be very much appreciated!
Dean Whitlock

Unread post by Dean Whitlock »

Hi,

When I had that problem, it was due to lack of memory. .97GB seems like it should be enough, but I believe it's the minimum requirement. The full text search needs lots of memory! An upgrade may be your only solution.

Good luck,
Dean
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Actually, just under a gig of RAM should be fine, so long as you are not running lots of other programs at the same time. You should check whether you are running the latest version of the program (see About... in the Help menu and download the current version from http://www.ec-software.com/downloads.html). Also, if you are running Vista or Windows Server 2003 see this topic for information about possible problems caused by the recent Microsoft Hardware DEP update:

http://helpman.it-authoring.com/viewtop ... 4423#24423
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
LBrundage

Unread post by LBrundage »

I checked and I am running he most recent version. And, I have been careful to run only Help and Manual.

We have very tight security on our systems and I am wondering if I need special permissions to write the output? I am compiling the system to my hard drive, so that should not be a problem, but I am wondering if any files are written elsewhere that aren't so obvious?

I am hoping to re-install today and see if that fixes it.

I am not running Vista or Windows Server 2003
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hmm... Folder/file permissions could be the cause. You will need full read/write permissions for the project folder and any folders involved in your output process. In addition to this, you should also have read/write permission to the H&M program folder and all the sub-folders it contains.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.