how to find all places where a topic anchor is used?

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

David Burson

how to find all places where a topic anchor is used?

Unread post by David Burson »

Hi,

I can't figure out (or find on this forum) how to get a list of all places where a particular topic anchor is referenced? I want to delete a topic anchor, but presumably that anchor is being linked to from somewhere, so I need to possible change all the places where that anchor is referenced.

How do I do this?

Thanks
David
Dean Whitlock

Unread post by Dean Whitlock »

Hi David,

The Long Project Report (Tools>Reports) will list all topic links ("Refers to:") in each topic. This is a list of the Topic IDs of the topics being linked to. You have the option to display the report in an external browser. Once there, you can use the browser's Find function to search for the Topic ID of the topic where the unwanted anchor is located. Unfortunately, the report doesn't show anchors, only the Topic IDs. But this would get you part way there.

Perhaps even better: If you delete a topic, HM will warn you about referrers and give you the option to Check Referrers, which shows a list of all topics that refer to the one you are deleting. You could copy the list and than cancel the deletion. You would still have to go to each referrer and look at the link to see if it went to the anchor or just to the topic itself.

Good luck,
Dean
David Burson

Unread post by David Burson »

Thanks very much Dean!
David