pdf chapter headings carry over to first page of new chapter

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Clyde Jenkins

pdf chapter headings carry over to first page of new chapter

Unread post by Clyde Jenkins »

I am creating a training manual that will be published as a .pdf document. For each page I have %Heading1% set to show at the top of the page by the page number. When a new chapter starts the Heading1 entry appears at the top of the new chapter, but it is the heading from the previous chapter. Following pages in the new chapter have the new heading. It's only the first page of the chapter that has the problem.

What am I missing?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Clyde,
What am I missing?
The latest version of Help & Manual. This is an old problem that was corrected a long time ago. Just download the latest version from http://www.ec-software.com/downloads.html and install on top of your current version to update. It's also a good idea to activate automatic update checks in Tools > Customize.

If your current version is older than 4.3 please delete the /Samples and /Templates folders in your H&M program directory before updating (make backups of any files you have edited first, of course). After updating you will find /Samples in My Documents/My HelpAndManual Projects. The /Templates folder is still stored in the H&M program directory but now has separate subfolders for all template types.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Clyde Jenkins

That fixed it, Tim. Thanks very much.

Clyde
Clyde Jenkins

I have just downloaded version 4.5.1 build 1380 and the problem is back. Do I need to delete my template folder every time I download a new version?

Clyde
djx-treme

Re: pdf chapter headings carry over to first page of new cha

Unread post by djx-treme »

Sorry, I've got the same problem.

The first pare of a new section contains heading from the previous-one. The second page is OK. What am I doing wrong?

I cannot upload .mnl file here so here is the link:
http://noptix.enk.me/bg/hm/template.zip

Thanks in advance
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: pdf chapter headings carry over to first page of new cha

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi "DjExtreme",

You have the <%HEADING2%> variable in your page headers in the topics section and you also have no automatic page breaks set for your chapters in the page options for the Topics section. This means 1) The the header will always be incorrect on pages where there is only a level 1 topic visible and 2) Topics can end and begin on the same page, so you cannot predict which topic will be shown in the header. This problem will be made worse if you also have empty paragraphs at the end of your topics: Then sometimes a page will begin with invisible empty text from the previous topic, and you may get the title of the previous topic in the header.

You should always only put <%HEADING1%> in the header or footer, otherwise you will automatically get errors when the topic level referenced is invalid. Also, select Page Options in the Pages menu and set automatic page breaks so that your topics start on new pages. Then you won't have conflicts about which topic is currently valid because of having two different topics on a single page.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.