Topics not linking correctly

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Bobbyg

Topics not linking correctly

Unread post by Bobbyg »

Hi

I have just found a problem with modular / merged help systems.

If I create 2 or 3 small projects as standard projects to be added as modules to a larger project there is a problem if some of the topics in each small project have the same topicid

e.g. topic id in each small project is Introduction - when merged - all links point to the topic in the first module added

How can I solve this so that all links are correct

Regards

Bobby
waldemar.hersacher

Unread post by waldemar.hersacher »

Hello Bobby,

in a merged HTML Help regardless of compile time or runtime eahtopic must have a unique TopicID. The TopicID is givingthe internal file name in the chm-file.

You can solve this by making each TopicID unique by giving it a prefix. You can set the prefix in Project >> Project Properties >> Common Properties >> Topic IDs & Help Context. This prefix will be automatically inserted when creating new topics.
For your existing topics you have to do this manually.
Waldemar
Bobbyg

Unread post by Bobbyg »

Hi Waldemar

Thank you for the reply. I understand that I need unique topic identifiers and the use of prefix in each help file will help sort this but it would be much better is the merge process automatically prefixed each topic in the imported help file rather than leave the possibility of having duplicate topic ids.

Even a routine / menu item to renumber topics etc would be ok

Regards

Bobby
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Bobby,

This was not provided by design because the danger of doing serious damage to your project while renaming topic IDs globally is too high. It may be added in the future if there is enough demand for it... :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.