Inserting Special Characters in the Table of Contents

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

jvoon

Inserting Special Characters in the Table of Contents

Unread post by jvoon »

Hi,

I need to insert the trademark symbol in one of the topics in the Table of Contents. My goal is so that the symbol is shown in the final compilation. Is there a way to do this?

Also, my title has a trademark symbol and I have trouble entering the symbol in my Project Properties.

Could anyone help on this?

Thanks,

jvoon
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Jvoon,

You can type the trademark symbol in directly by holding down ALT and typing 0153 on the numeric keypad. You must use the numeric keypad for this, the normal number keys at the top of the keyboard won't work. You can also enter the symbol like this in Project Properties. Even if it is not displayed correctly in Project Properties (you may just see a square there) it will be OK in your output.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
jvoon

Unread post by jvoon »

Thanks for the reply. It works!

However, after compiling my project, I realized that in the .chm file, the trademark symbol looks like this --> |. The trademark symbol does appear in my .pdf version. Do you have a solution for this?

Also, I have another question. I have a lot of figures in my document and I don't want to track their figure numbers every time I add a figure. Do you have any ideas for figure caption variable?

Thanks,

jvoon
waldemar.hersacher

Unread post by waldemar.hersacher »

jvoon,

I have in Project Properties:
DEFAULT-CHARSET
MS Sans-Serif,8,0
ANSI and Unicode text mixed as needed

The copyright symbol is displayed correct in HTML Help.

Counting variables for numbering are supported in H&M 5. See also this thread on how to use it additional to the manual.
Waldemar