Maximizing the size of CHMs upon first access

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

matbriggs

Maximizing the size of CHMs upon first access

Unread post by matbriggs »

Hi Tim

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I've had a look and can't find anything.

What determines the size of the CHM (window) when a user accesses a CHM for the first time (from the associated software)? At the moment, on a fresh install the size of the CHM isn't maximized to full screen. I can see an option in H&M to maximize the WinHelp, but not the CHM.

Thanks in advance
Matt
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Mat,

CHM files don't have an integrated maximize property, it just isn't provided for. It may be possible to maximize the window when you open it with a call using the HTML Help API, but I'm also not 100% certain about that and it would be an excellent way to make your users angry at you. Users hate it when windows always maximize when they are opened, in the same way that they hate help windows that are "always on top", which drives you nuts on a smaller screen when you are trying to switch between the help and the application.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
matbriggs

Hi Tim

That's a fair point, thanks for your advice. It's hard enough getting users to read the Help at the best of times, so I don't want to anger the small percentage that do.

Regards
Matt
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Matt,

Actually, I'm not so sure that help is really ignored all that much. It's easy to get that impression at the support desk, but most of the users who contact support are those who have never bothered to read the help. However, in this as in other things, support requests give you a very distorted view of your real user base. Since I manage the support for Help & Manual I know that only a very small percentage of our users ever contact support at all, and my conclusion is that at least for a professional application like HM, the majority of the users really are reading the documentation and are managing fine with it. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
matbriggs

Hi Tim

I'm sure you're right, that was a ridiculous statement I just made. I agree, it's easy to adopt a distorted view from support desks; I often hear our support team complaining about users calling them without reading the help first. But that is probably a very small percentage of lazy users. We've got a particularly small support team and a considerably large user base, so I guess that says a lot.

Feel free to delete my previous 'blasphemous' message.

Regards
Matt
Swede

Re: Maximizing the size of CHMs upon first access

Unread post by Swede »

Hi,
I just saw this thread and I have a follow-up question:
Is there a way to specify the default opening size for a CHM window, albeit not maximized? E.g. 600x600 pixels, or maximized vertically and 300 pixels wide?
I'm using Help & Manual 5.4.0.
Thanks!
Aitch

Unread post by Aitch »

Hi Swede,

To set the size of the default window, go to Configuration > Common Properties > Help Windows > General Options (the first tab),

You can use the Position Wizard to setup the size and location of the default .chm.
Hope this helps.

ps. The latest version of HM5 is 5.6.0 build 1350 (at least that's the one I have installed).

Regards
H
Version 9.0.3 Build 6380

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Always check your spellar and gramming before you publish!
Swede

Unread post by Swede »

That was pretty much what I was looking for. Thanks!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Swede,

Note that after the first view the default behavior is to save and use the last size and position set by the user. You can turn this off by disabling the option for saving the position and size in the registry in the HTML Help Options tab. However, I really don't recommend doing it because the majority of users much prefer to have the position stay as they set it rather than resetting every time they open the help. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Swede

Unread post by Swede »

What happens if I set the "Left" position to a number that is higher that what would normally fit on a user's screen, e.g. if the user's screen is smaller than mine? Will the window open "outside" of the user's screen (thus adding to the user's already high level of irritation) or will it self-adjust and position itself to the far right?
Tim Green
Site Admin

I'm not sure to be honest, it will probably just be a bit too big and the user will then be able to adjust it. Give it a try. Generally, you should aim for the help to always open correctly on a 1024 x 768 resolution screen. That's really the smallest resolution you can reasonably be expected to support nowadays.
Regards,

Private support: