Keyword of PDF Index for Japanese

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

kirameister

Keyword of PDF Index for Japanese

Unread post by kirameister »

I've created and written some contents and corresponding keywords for each chapters and sections in Japanese. When I compiled the HTML Help file, those keywords appeared properly.

When I, however, compiled it into a PDF file, the initials of the keywords didn't appear (instead, there was "Z"). After reading through the previous posts in this forum, I succeeded in changing this "Z" into a Japanese character (the first Japanese keyword appeared in the index).

However, since we have, in total, more than 2000 letters in Japanese (including those originally invented in China), I do not think adding all the characters under "Keyword Index Separators" will ever be a good idea.

Instead, I'd like to either :

(A) : Combine the keywords manually. For example, you have a set of characters in Chinese, and each of them as a starting pronunciation (of which total number is more or less 50). Is there any way I could assign an initial letter for each keyword (and those initial letters do NOT correspond their keywords)

or

(B) : categorize all the keywords written in (or starting from) Japanese character as one category (e.g., under "Japanese" initial word). In that way, the reader could be sure that only the Japanese keywords appear in the following segment.

Best regards
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Kirameister,

This is an interesting question. I've passed it on to our developer responsible for language integration and I'll let you know what he says as soon as I hear from him.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

I guess we should implement an option for "no keyword sections" in PDF to solve this. I'll contact you with a private email for details.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
jeffbronks

Re: Keyword of PDF Index for Japanese

Unread post by jeffbronks »

I'd also like to request a solution to this problem. In my case it's a Chinese index, so listing the entire Chinese character set in the Keyword Index Separators dialog isn't a realistic option. Instead of listing the separators in a text box, could the dialog instead give you a drop-down list of character sets you want the index sorted by? Listing the characters individually seems like a clumsy way to do it but could be reserved as a last-resort option for unusual types of index.

Incidentally, if anyone's interested, there's a bit about Chinese indexes here: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/arc ... 11727.html.