Webhelp Draft

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Aitch

Webhelp Draft

Unread post by Aitch »

Hi all,

I'm probably not seeing it, or it doesn't exist.. is it possible to have a draft copy of my webhelp?

I'm in the process of writing a helpfile, but want to circulate what I currently have around the office. I would like to have the word 'draft' or 'under construction' on the topics I'm still working with, instead of them pointing out anything on that page.

The file will be hosted in an internal sharepoint folder, which they are subscribed to. Which means that when I update a file, they get a notification email. That way, I only need to send an introduction email.

What is the easiest way to have a watermark background on each page? Or will changing the background colour be more effective?

I just thought of a wishlist (unless it's already a feature) - is it possible to have the background colour match up with the topic status automatically?

Thanks
Heidi
Version 9.0.3 Build 6380

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Always check your spellar and gramming before you publish!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Webhelp Draft

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Heidi,

You can't do this automatically. To add a watermark image you just need to add the image you want to use to your baggage files and then add a couple of lines of CSS to your HTML page template (in the skin file if you are using a skin). Go to the template in Configuration > HTML Page Templates > Default, locate the closing </head> tag and then add the following lines of code, replacing the filename with the name of your image file:

Code: Select all

<style type="text/css">
body {
   background-image:url('yourimage.gif');
   background-repeat: repeat;
}
</style>
By default, the image will be repeated (tiled) both vertically and horizontally. You can control this by changing the value of the background-repeat attribute. If you only want it to repeat horizontally set it to "repeat-x", if you only want it to repeat vertically set it to "repeat-y", and if you don't want it to repeat at all set it to "no-repeat".
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Aitch

Unread post by Aitch »

Thank you Tim!

I'll set this up straight away. Would this work if I add it to just individual topics?
Version 9.0.3 Build 6380

Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Heidi,

To do this for individual topics you need to make a small change and define a variable. First define a variable to hold the name of your "draft" background image. Let's say the variable is called "DRAFTIMAGE". If most of the topics are not draft topics you need to define the variable with nothing in its text -- i.e. just a variable name with an empty definition. Then change the style code I showed you to this:

<style type="text/css">
body {
   background-image:url('<%DRAFTIMAGE%>');
   background-repeat: repeat;
}
</style>
Then in the topics where you want to have the background image appear, go into the Topic Options tab. In the Topic Variables: section at the bottom select the [+] to add a new variable re-definition and select your DRAFTIMAGE variable to add it to the table. Then enter the name of your draft background image file (e.g. watermark.png) as the definition of the variable. Then only this topic (and any other topic where you do this) will have the watermark image because the image reference will be available here but empty in all other pages. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Aitch

Unread post by Aitch »

Tim,

You make it sound so easy! I'm still getting to grips of making coffee without burning the water! :)

I shall give it a go and see what the feedback is.

Thanks again!

H
Version 9.0.3 Build 6380

matt harris

Unread post by matt harris »

HI

I know this is an old thread but it's just what I'm looking for.

The only thing I need is, when using the variable just to show the watermark in specific topics, how can I centre the image in the middle of the body

Thanks

Matt
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Matt,

Just change the CSS code like this:

<style type="text/css">
body {
   background-image:url('<%DRAFTIMAGE%>');
   background-repeat: no-repeat;
   background-position: center center;
}
</style>
Regards,

Private support:
matt harris

Unread post by matt harris »

Thanks Tim, Perfect

Matt