Help hyperlinks between CHM helpfiles involvong different wi

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

chfrmeyer

Help hyperlinks between CHM helpfiles involvong different wi

Unread post by chfrmeyer »

Hello,

Is there a solution or workaround to the following problem:

In "myfile1.CHM" I have hyperlinks to "Myfile2.chm". Both helpfiles include more than one type of secondary window and hyperlinks between the two files involving changes of window type in which the target is displayed.

My experience is that the target topic is displayed in the same window as the "original" topic was. Any specification for displaying the target in a separate or "external" window doesn't work the moment I jump from one helpfile to another (sigh - in Winhelp it worked).

I know I'm probably violating some recommendations, but can anyone help me find a way or a wiorkaround - at least, to have a specified tyrget topic in myfile2.chm displayed in a separate main window when called from any topic in any window in myfile1.chm?

Thank you and best regards
Christoph Meyer
chfrmeyer
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Re: Help hyperlinks between CHM helpfiles involvong differen

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

The target topic is displayed in the same help window that you specify with the link. If the link to the external topic points to a secondary help window, the external topic will be displayed in that secondary help window.

Keep in mind that window definitions are bound to the CHM file that defines it. E.g. you cannot reference a secondary window that is defined in another CHM file. When calling external CHM links, the HTML Help viewer "pulls" the HTML page from the external CHM and displays it in the scope of the current CHM.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
chfrmeyer

Unread post by chfrmeyer »

To Alexander Halser,

Thanks for your reply, but exactly that doesnt'work with my projects. What could be the reason?
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

After investigating the issue, I must correct my answer above: it does not work.

The reason is, that links to topics in secondary windows are internally done with a HHCTRL scripting object via a-keywords. This link type offers to specify a secondary window on the one hand. On the other hand, it doesn't allow to jumpt to topics in external files, not as long as the external file is merged into the master CHM.

Sorry, there is no reliable way to display a help topic from an external file in a secondary window in CHMs.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
cindynotbrady

Unread post by cindynotbrady »

I too was investigating this. I think perhaps this section in your help needs to be updated with this information:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... rywins.htm
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Cindy,

I'll add this to that topic to make it clearer. Thanks. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.