Failure to compile

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Sarah McPhee

Failure to compile

Unread post by Sarah McPhee »

Hi there,
I use version 5.6 and have edited an existing project and saved it as a new one and all is fine until i wish to compile as HTML. I get the following error:

Child projects referenced by this help file:
The following files are merged at run time if present. To make them appear in the master help file, you must compile them separately and distribute them with the master help.

ODM_Help.chm

You must deploy the following files:

C:\Users\smcphee\Desktop\ODM Helpfile 4.0\ODM4_0Helpfile.chm
C:\Users\smcphee\Desktop\ODM Helpfile 4.0\StrataBugsDataConnection.pdf

I have re installed the Help workshop program but i still get the same error.
What does it mean by the fact I need to deploy the files? I am not wanting to merge lots of projects into one and just have one master document and i thought i had achieved this but perhaps not. The project explorer is attached.

Appreciate any help. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Failure to compile

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Sarah,

If this message is displayed there must be a reference to a Help & Manual project or a CHM file somewhere in the TOC of your project, possibly in one of the chapters that are not open in the screenshot you posted. It may have been inserted accidentally instead of a link to another project. Since this is a runtime reference you will not see the entire TOC of the referenced project, just a single node with the spiky green child project icon.
What does it mean by the fact I need to deploy the files?
That is just a reminder that you have included a link to a PDF file that is not embedded in your CHM, so you need to include that file along with your CHM so that the link to it will work. The alternative to that would be to put the PDF on your web server and include a web link to it instead, or to embed the PDF in the CHM so that it is stored inside the CHM. I can provide instructions on how to do that if necessary.

Since you also sent the same question to support by email I've written to you asking you to mail me the project so that we can check where the reference to the child project is. We can also sort out the issue with the PDF by mail as well if you like. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.