Script Error

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Sarah McPhee

Script Error

Unread post by Sarah McPhee »

Hi,
I have been using Help and Manual 5 and i get a common script error in my .chm file. Please See attachment picture.
I sometimes manage to get rid of it and other times I cant but to be honest I'm not sure what i am doing to get rid of it. Can you please help identify what is causing it in the first place?
On this occasion i was only compiling one small topic (as a selected topic) and did not include any skins. Previously before doing some text/image edits all worked fine.
I use drop down toggles and when i get the script error it seems to coincide with the chm file having toggles expanded already.
Any advise greatly appreciated.
Regards
Sarah
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Script Error

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Sarah,

There is probably an "orphaned" toggle link somewhere on the page that is causing errors in the output. An orphaned toggle link is one that does not have a matching table to toggle, and when the script on the page tries to initialize it then fails.

The current version of Help & Manual 6 checks for this when you publish your project and displays information about it in the compiler log displayed after you publish. This will show you the text of the caption of the orphaned toggle link that should allow you to locate it on the page. Then just right-click on it and select "Convert to plain text" to fix the problem.

Before doing this, however, please make sure you are using the current version of the program, which you can check with Help > About. The current version of HM5 is 5.6.0 Build 1360. You can download the latest installer here (just install on top of your current version to update):

http://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html

IMPORTANT: The Help & Manual 5 installer link is down at the BOTTOM of the page! (If you want to try out Help & Manual 6 you can also download that from the main download link at the top of the page. The two versions will not interfere with each other and can even be run at the same time. Just don't try to install both to the same folder.)

If you continue to have problems please mail me a copy of the project in single-file .hmxz format, then you only need to mail the .hmxz project file to provide everything we need. Mail it to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @). If you are working in the uncompressed HMXP format you can save a copy as HMXZ with Save As... in the Application Menu (big button in the top left corner of the HM window) . Select the "Single-file Storage / HMXZ" option at the top as the save format.

We don't need any graphics files initially, just the .hmxz project file. If you are publishing with a skin we also need the .hmskin skin file that you are using. If you are publishing to PDF we need the .mnl PDF print manual template file you are using.

Please include details of where in the project the problem is located and describe the steps needed to reproduce the problem.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Sarah McPhee

Re: Script Error

Unread post by Sarah McPhee »

Thanks Tim,
I spent some time looking over it last night and indeed it appears to be that I have added a bulleted list or a hard return after the toggle link and before the toggled table itself. removing these have solved the problem.
Hopefully will be upgrading to version 6 at some point soon as well.
Thank for your reply.
Regards
Sarah