Formatting Issue when Publishing a PDF Windows 8.1

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Josh Skinner

Formatting Issue when Publishing a PDF Windows 8.1

Unread post by Josh Skinner »

HI there,

I am trying to publish to PDF via Help and Manual 5.6.0 build 1360 but when I do the formatting is all off on the PDF, with the text from the manual appearing to be skewed to the right. I have tried a number of previously good files and manuals, but it is the same every time. It appears however that this only affects the pdf when H&M is run in Windows 8.1 and the same files work fine in Windows 7. Is there a work around for this (other than using Windows 7)?

Many thanks,

Josh
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Formatting Issue when Publishing a PDF Windows 8.1

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Josh,

This isn't normal. I just checked this with HM 5.6 on Windows 8.1 (which is my standard working system) and PDFs are working fine. Check the following:
  • Make sure that your PDF reference printer driver is set correctly. Don't use the screen device. Check it in View > Program Options > PDF. On Windows 8.1 you can set it to the Microsoft XPS Document Writer driver, that generally works fine.
  • If you have edited your print manual template, try selecting a fresh copy of a standard template from the /Templates/PDF folder in the Help & Manual program directory. If it works OK with that it means that the problem is in your edited template.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Josh Skinner

Re: Formatting Issue when Publishing a PDF Windows 8.1

Unread post by Josh Skinner »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for getting back to me on this so quickly. I completed the process in your first suggestion, tried it, and that works fine now.

If I have any more problems I will give the second step a try as well and let you know.

Many thanks,

Josh