CHW index files no longer generating after creating CHM file

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ronald Hoek

CHW index files no longer generating after creating CHM file

Unread post by Ronald Hoek »

We are using H&M 5.6.0b1360 and have been using it for a long time now to create CHM files which are linked together (using the 'runtime' links).
Before we create CHM files and when you hit the 'Index' in HH you get a CHW-file.

But now when we recompile the older projects (for which this CHW-behavior still works for the previously created CHM files), the CHW is no longer created when the newly created CHM is opened (at the index tab).

Anybody got an idea whats wrong?
Ronald Hoek

Re: CHW index files no longer generating after creating CHM

Unread post by Ronald Hoek »

Ok, as a last resort I searched for the latest HTMLHelp compiler and did 'different' version of the installer (at MS):
- https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=21138

So I did the following:
- I ran the new installer (after backing up the old hhc.exe compiler folder) and noticed NO CHANGE between the old an new version (file-based binari compare).
- Then I looked at the application settings, regarding the hhc.exe to use (it was still pointing to the old location, thus the old compiler).
- Well as I modified my main CHM project I needed to compile it

And (What the heck?) now the CHW file is generated again.
I was completely bedazzled, but it's working: so when someone has the same problem, following the steps above might solve your problem!