HM5 Subscript and Superscript in styles

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Paul Gilman

HM5 Subscript and Superscript in styles

Unread post by Paul Gilman »

Hello,

I imported a project that I created in HM 4.5 and discovered that a character-only style I had defined for subscripted text did not display correctly in HM 5.0. I tried changing the formatting manually by using the new subscript button in the toolbar (nice!) and updating the existing style with Create style from selection. I thought that fixed the problem, but after saving the file, closing and reopening it, the subscripts were gone.

I also tried editing the style and applying the subscript format using the check box in the font settings window, but neither subscript or superscript seem to work properly: checking either box does not affect the text's appearance. (The other options, underline, strikethrough, etc. do seem to work.)

Thanks,
Paul.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for reporting this, will be checked asap.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Paul Gilman

On a related note, I tried to assign a shortcut to a style in the Edit styles window by clicking the Shortcut text box and pressing the Alt and 'e' keys simultaneously. Instead of assigning 'Alt + e' to the shortcut, H&M assigned the letter 'e'. I only discovered that when the style was applied each time I typed the letter 'e' in the editor! Pressing the Alt key in the editor caused a bunch of small boxes with letters and numbers to appear in the ribbon toolbar.

Thanks,
Paul.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Paul,

The ALT key is currently reserved for activating the accelerator keys in the Ribbon.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Paul Gilman

Hm. It would helpful to be able to turn off that function of the Alt key in program options. I have been using Alt for style shortcuts in HM4.5 and am not likely to use accelerator keys for the ribbon commands. I use letters with different combinations of Shift and Alt to differentiate between different kinds of styles.

Also, allowing plain letters to be assigned as style shortcuts (accidentally in my case because the Alt was automatically discarded) might be confusing for new users.

I hope that's helpful. I really like some of the new features in HM5.

Thanks,
Paul.
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Paul,

I think the current Alt key working is a bug. The accelerator key symbols should appear only when Alt is pressed and then released without pressing any other key. Pressing any other key while Alt is down should access the assigned shortcuts and hotkeys, not the accelerator key functions.

It's been reported to the programming team.

Martin.
Dean Whitlock

Unread post by Dean Whitlock »

I agree with Martin and Paul. The Alt key should not be dedicated to one function. I use it for custom shortcuts in more applications than H&M, as do many others I'm sure, and re-assigning will require the breaking of many established habits. Like Paul, I have a lot of style shortcuts that use Alt...in fact, all of my style shortcuts use Alt. :(