.hlp compiler output file not created

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

mikec

.hlp compiler output file not created

Unread post by mikec »

Using the .hlp (winhelp) compiler option I get an output .cnt file, but no .hlp.

All sections of the source code are set to 'All Builds', so they should be included. HM shows compilation of all sections and everything appears to be working.

I have tried to compile on the following OS, with no success:

Windows Vista Business SP1
Windows XP Professional SP2

Compiling .chm works as required with no problem. However, the client in question is running source code that has embedded links to .hlp anchors.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and is there a suitable workaround?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Try compiling manually, then you will be able to see the full Winhelp compiler report and you may be able to see better what the problem is:
  1. Publish to HLP with Help & Manual and DEselect the "Delete temporary files" option in the Publish dialog. This will create a directory called \~tmphlp in your project directory.
  2. Open Microsoft Help Workshop (this was installed automatically when you installed the WinHelp compiler).
  3. In Workshop, select File - Open and open the *.hpj file in your \~tmphlp directory.
  4. Without making any changes select File - Compile and click on the [Compile] button.
You should then see whether the compile works or if there are error messages.[/list]
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Cyril Pan

Re: .hlp compiler output file not created

Unread post by Cyril Pan »

Hello,

I am facing the same problem as explained above by mikec.
My company is still using version 5 of H&M (as we need both the .cnt and .hlp files) and here is the error message I get when trying to compile manually following your procedure:

Any idea about the problem? Could you give me further help?

Thanks in advance
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: .hlp compiler output file not created

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Cyril,

Your screenshot shows that you are using Microsoft HTML Help Workshop for CHM files, not Microsoft Help Workshop for HLP files. So you are trying to compile the source of a WinHelp project as CHM. It's actually rather surprising that you managed to even get as far as the error message... 8)

You need to use the Microsoft Help Workshop program (without the "HTML" in the name!!) and open the .hpj file in the source files folder, which is called \~tmphlp and NOT \~tmpchm.

Please also make sure you are using the current version of the program, which you can check with Help > About. The current version of Help & Manual 5 is 5.6 Build 1360. You can download the latest installer here (just install on top of your current version to update):

http://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html#oldver
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.