no red "pin" icon in the TOC for comments...

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Abghay

no red "pin" icon in the TOC for comments...

Unread post by Abghay »

Dear all,

HM5 "FAQ for Upgraders" states:
"Comments are inserted with the Comment tool in Write > Insert Object. You can insert multiple comments in a topic but you cannot jump to comments like bookmarks. Topics containing comments are identified by a red "pin" icon in the TOC."

Unfortunately, the red "pin" icon is not displayed in the TOC any more (as was the case with H&M4).

Is there a special setting required which has not been documented yet or is this a bug?
Thank you in advance for your info.

Cheers,
Lydia
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Lydia,

Thanks for pointing this out -- this is an error in the help (a carry-over from the old version). The pins in the TOC are now shown for bookmarks, which are separate from comments, and not for comments. I'll update the help right away. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Tim Green wrote:The pins in the TOC are now shown for bookmarks, which are separate from comments, and not for comments. I'll update the help right away. 8)
Hi Tim,

Also, the pins in the TOC are still red, whereas the pin icon for a bookmark is blue. Comment pins are red.

But I'm sure I saw blue pin icons in the TOC in an earlier build. :?

Also, the bookmark pins don't appear in the TOC until you swap to a different topic and back. (I've lost count of how many times I've typed that phrase. :( )

regards,

Martin.
Thomas Lemmer

Unread post by Thomas Lemmer »

Hi Tim,

I also would like to have the bookmarks in blue.
Additionally we like to have the old red comment pins in the Table of Contents.
We really need this feature because we want to see where we still have comments in the manual, before we build the final version.
Our manual contains 1000 pages and more and we don't want to click through each chapter to see if there is still something to do....

Cheers,
Thomas
Tim Green
Site Admin

I've passed these requests on to the development team. For the time being you can work around this by bookmarking topics that contain comments... :?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Thomas Lemmer

Thanks Tim.
We really hope this feature is getting into the build ;-)

Thanks for your workaround suggestion.

Cheers,
Thomas
Martin Wynne

Thomas Lemmer wrote:Our manual contains 1000 pages and more and we don't want to click through each chapter to see if there is still something to do....
Hi Thomas,

That's what the Topic Status settings are for. You can now customize as many status conditions and TOC colours as you want. See attached.

You can find existing comments by searching for styleclass="Comment" in the XML.

Instead of comments I've suggested using IF NEVER conditional blocks, which could then contain formatted text, images, etc., in place of plain text. But the suggestion didn't make it in time for the release date. :( You could use IF CUSTOMIZED NEVER instead of course.

regards,

Martin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Waller

Unread post by John Waller »

And using the Project Reports (Project > Report Tool) you can run reports on "Topics with Status" (one status or multiple) and get a concise To-Do list showing which topics need action e.g. Awaiting Customer Feedback.

John Waller
Thomas Lemmer

Hi together,

yes I know. This is a great new feature which I also missed.
But I still need the Comments, because you can use them for specific questions, notes etc. which is not possible with the status information...

Cheers,
Thomas
Martin Wynne

Thomas Lemmer wrote:But I still need the Comments, because you can use them for specific questions, notes etc. which is not possible with the status information...
Hi Thomas,

Create a custom topic status "Contains important comments". :)

Martin.
Dean Whitlock

Unread post by Dean Whitlock »

I side with Thomas. Having the red comment pin automatically appear/disappear saves me a lot of time when I put in one of my notes and then delete it after dealing with it. I don't have to change the status as well. This allows me to work with a succinct set of statuses supported by freeform comments.

You can add features to your heart's content, but you should always ask before taking features away! (How sharper than a serpent's tooth is a user scorned...or whatever :wink: )

Dean
John Waller

Unread post by John Waller »

Dean Whitlock wrote:I side with Thomas. Having the red comment pin automatically appear/disappear saves me a lot of time when I put in one of my notes and then delete it after dealing with it. I don't have to change the status as well. This allows me to work with a succinct set of statuses supported by freeform comments.
Although I love HM5, I tend to agree Dean. I feel like the Comments feature has gone backwards compared to HM4.

We often use multiple Comments in Topics as placeholders for incomplete diagrams, proofreading paragraphs, Flash movies from Camtasia, digital Post-It notes etc. Finding the correct spot in the correct Topic for individual items quickly now seems more difficult than it used to be.
Regards

John Waller
v.6.2.2 Build 2636
gk

Re: no red "pin" icon in the TOC for comments...

Unread post by gk »

Hello Tim,

is there a solution (or work-around) for the problem when there is red pin shown in the TOC, while there isn't one (visible) in the topic itself?

Kind regards,
Gerwin
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: no red "pin" icon in the TOC for comments...

gk wrote:is there a solution (or work-around) for the problem when there is red pin shown in the TOC, while there isn't one (visible) in the topic itself?
This just means that you have a bookmark for the topic but no comment in the topic. Check the Bookmarks tool in the Project tab, you will find it and you can use the menu it displays to delete it. :)
Regards,

Private support: