No topic titles in index?

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

BavDev

No topic titles in index?

Unread post by BavDev »

I have entered some keywords to start up my index list.

In the compiled CHM, this index list displays correctly.
However, when I doubleclick a keyword, I get a nonsense list of many topics with title "Unknown" (just guessing, in German this is Unbenannt). Each of them represents one of the topics with that keyword.

It looks like I am missing an additional field where to enter the topic title for the index?

Please help
Stephan
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Stephan,

In the Topic Options tab check the "<TITLE> Tag:" field, if it is empty this may be the cause of your problem. This is normally filled automatically by Help & Manual but it may not be if you import your topics from some other source.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
BavDev

Unread post by BavDev »

Tim,
the Title tags are all filled with the correct titles.
There are some topics which had been copied from another project which is the import of an original Winhelp file, but also those do have the right title tags.

But the topics of which I am talking had been created manually in H&M.

Any new ideas?

Thanks
Stephan
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Stephan,

To work out what the problem is here I need to see your Help & Manual project. Please save the project file in .hmxz single-file format, pack it in a Zip or Rar archive and mail it to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @). Please include your full name and a brief description of the problem, not just a link to the forum. Thanks! :)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Jens Krieger

Re: No topic titles in index?

Unread post by Jens Krieger »

Hi Tim and Stephan,

Although this entry is already 8 years old its solution is of an interest to me as well as I face the same issue. RH imported project, title tags are all correctly filled but the titles in multi result index entries are all "unknown" when exported to HTM-help (chm). In Webhelp is works fine.

Edit:
Our title and keyword entries are preceeded by translate=true:

Code: Select all

<topic template="Default" status="Complete" lasteditedby="Jens">
  <title translate="true">Acquiring HDR images</title>
  <keywords>
    <keyword translate="true">HDR image (High Dynamic Range)</keyword>
    <keyword translate="true">Image (acquiring)</keyword>
    <keyword translate="true">Image acquisition<keyword translate="true">HDR image</keyword></keyword>
  </keywords>
I will temporarily omit the translate tag and see what happens.

Edit:
No change. Any idea?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Jens,

I will check this, but I suspect the problem is simply that the CHM viewer does not include the topic title in the keyword index because they don't really belong in the index. The index contains index keywords, and those are defined by the author. If you want the topic title to be included in the index you would have to add it as an index keyword. To be honest, I would never expect the title to be in the index unless I did that. There is no logical reason for it to be there. Even so, I will check on this and get back to you here. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Hi Jens,

Please send a test project to reproduce this (the H&M project source). When a dedicated keyword in a CHM file points to 2 or more topics, the CHM viewer displays a topic list to select from. The topic list shows the topic title and the help file.

If that list shows entries with "untitled" - as shown in the screenshot below, it takes 2 things to make this happen:

1) The page template for the HTML export is missing a <title> tag. But even then, the CHM viewer takes the topic file name as the title (as shown in the screenshot).

2) The topic ID must start with an underscore, here: "_mytest". Topics that start with an underscore are excluded from CHM full-text search. H&M exports these topics with the extension ".xhtml" instead of ".html".

In all other cases, the topic title (at least the topic file name as title) should be displayed.
Clip1.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Jens Krieger

Unread post by Jens Krieger »

I checked both the template as well as a few topics which I picked and everthing looked well: the template for export had the <title>-tag and there were no underscores at all.
Nevertheless once again I set the template back to default values. Apperantly there werent any changes which I could obseve in the HTML source window - but it changed the whole story: both the topics list shows no "unknown" entries anymore and the full text search is working.
I confirmed it with the back up copy and compared the HTML source window content with the new one - no difference in apperance but a huge difference in the result.
I'm glad its solved but of course its a little bit curious to me - do you have any idea for the core reason of it?

[EDIT]: Strange enough, now the Simple Layout tab is greyed and cannot activated anymore?!!
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Strange enough, now the Simple Layout tab is greyed and cannot activated anymore
This means you have modified the simple default layout. To restore it, click the "Reset template" button.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH