A template for all styles

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

sipl

A template for all styles

Unread post by sipl »

Hi,

I am new to H&M and have the following queries:

Is there an option to create a user defined template with styles and attach it to a project( like we do in Robohelp) in H&M5?
Also can can you preview a topic before publish it?

Thanks,
Sipl
Last edited by sipl on Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waldemar.hersacher

Unread post by waldemar.hersacher »

You have two possibilities for templates:

Create a project and make all settings you need. Save this project.

Creating new projects you can use your previous project as a template.

More powerful is using skins. Skins are applied during publishing your project. Any change to the skin is visible after publishing. You can even change the skin to have it different for Web Help or HTML Help.

A discussion about topic preview is here.
Waldemar
sipl

Unread post by sipl »

Hi Waldemar,

Thanks for your reply. Just one more question, a little stupid one though. :? If I have ten topics in a project, do I have to to define and apply styles to each topic, then save the project?
At the moment, this is what I am doing? Is there another way around?

Cheers!
Sipl.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Sipl,

Do you mean text/paragraph styles or something else? Once you have defined new text and paragraph styles (Styles > Edit Styles in the Write tab) you do need to apply them to your existing text. After you have done that you can then reformat all the text in your project formatted with those styles by changing the styles definitions.

You can import the stylesheet from another project with the Copy Styles From... button in Edit Styles. If your text in your existing topics is already tagged with style names matching the imported styles then the formatting will be applied automatically.

To preview one or more topics first select them in the TOC with Shift+Click and Ctrl+Click. Then select Publish (upper half of the Publish button for the dialog) and choose "Selected Topics" in the Include Options to publish only the selected topics.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.