Style shortcuts with Alt do not function in HM5

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

bruno.stivicevic

Style shortcuts with Alt do not function in HM5

Unread post by bruno.stivicevic »

Hi,

in HM4 I've had a series of shortcuts tied to Alt+<key>, for example, my style "Inline head" is tied to Alt+2 in all the projects I converted from HM4 to HM5.

In HM5 5.2.0.880 though Alt+2 opens the File open dialog box. I checked in the Program Options > Shortcuts and it lists only Ctrl+O as a shortcut. Apparently it's not possible to add more shortcuts for a command, so it doesn't look as a configuration issue. Even when I unassigned Ctrl+O from the File open dialog, Alt+2 continues to open it. It looks like to be hardcoded.

I noticed also that Alt key is not recognized anymore as a valid supershift key for styles, actually only Ctrl is allowed.

Is it a design decision or a glitch that is going to be fixed (soon)?

Thanks
Bruno
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Bruno,

We're looking into this. However, there are some limitations on the use of the ALT key because it is reserved for the accelerator keys used in the new Ribbon interface. If you press Shift+ALT you will be able to use ALT combinations for styles though.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
bruno.stivicevic

Unread post by bruno.stivicevic »

Hi Tim,

thanks, you're right - Shift+Alt do work.

Thanks,
Bruno
Pesach

Alt key issue with ribbon interface

Unread post by Pesach »

This is a major productivity problem that the Alt key does not function as it did. Shift+Alt+key is not very easy to do quickly.

What a shame.
Pesach

Can the Alt keys be disabled in the ribbon interface?

Unread post by Pesach »

Can the Alt keys be disabled in the ribbon interface?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Can the Alt keys be disabled in the ribbon interface?

Pesach wrote:Can the Alt keys be disabled in the ribbon interface?
Sorry, this isn't possible. This is hard-coded into the ribbon component, which needs to be accessible via one known key. :?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
xlation

Re: Can the Alt keys be disabled in the ribbon interface?

Unread post by xlation »

Tim Green wrote:
Pesach wrote:Can the Alt keys be disabled in the ribbon interface?
Sorry, this isn't possible. This is hard-coded into the ribbon component, which needs to be accessible via one known key. :?
Emm... how about ditching the ribbon thingy altogether? Say in H&M 6? :D

P.S. I'm still on v4, and on SnagIt v8. Guess why :wink:
-=Think!=-
Xtructur

Re: Style shortcuts with Alt do not function in HM5

Unread post by Xtructur »

Hello,

It seems to be awful that developers of serious Help Authoring Tools (HAT) are not so keen on achieving better usability, increasing software personalization and relating ability to restore program options.

Meanwhile HAT users sharpen their wit facing alternative tools or processes to avoid repetitive software tasks. It also happens to competitors:

Adobe Forums: Create keyboard shortcuts in RoboHelp
http://forums.adobe.com/message/23027

Adobe Forums: How to get Styles drop down to display...
http://forums.adobe.com/message/350726

Regards,

Xtru.

Xtructur

Unread post by Xtructur »

Hello,

I have discovered that custom keyboard shortcuts can be used with Alt key on hard-wired ribbonized Help & Manual 5. The trick is to press Alt key, release it and press Alt again combined with the desired key, for example, Alt+1.

Deactivating all the original active buttons of Quick access toolbar eliminates the conflicts within the first seven numbers.

Unfortunately, assigning new Alt key shortcuts for styles requires to modify project.hmxp manually (unzip your project.hmxz if it is necessary). After such a long waiting, either helpman_XML_ref.chm (Help & Manual Forums - Helpman_XML_ref.chm not included in installer, http://helpman.it-authoring.com/viewtopic.php?p=38612) does not aid much in this subject, however you still can find some codes by trial and error: 32816 (Alt+0), 32817 (Alt+1)... 32833 (Alt+A), 32834 (Alt+B) and so on.

Regards,

Xtru

Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Xtru,
After such a long waiting, either helpman_XML_ref.chm (Help & Manual Forums - Helpman_XML_ref.chm not included in installer,
The updated version of this help file has been included since Help & Manual 5.5.
Unfortunately, assigning new Alt key shortcuts for styles requires to modify project.hmxp manually
This is not correct -- although you can do it that way if you prefer to edit XML source code. You can edit your styles shortcuts directly in Write > Styles > Edit Styles. 8)
Regards,

Private support: