Table style change doesn't save

Please post all new bug reports for Help & Manual 5 here.
Mark_Hazeldine

Table style change doesn't save

Unread post by Mark_Hazeldine »

Hi,

I'm having a problem where I'm trying to set a table style such that all tables of that style have a width of 100%.
Whenever I set the style settings to "Size table manually, Width 100%" and press OK, then go back into the settings again, H&M seems to change the setting back to "Size table to fit on page" against my wishes. I'm pretty sure this is a bug?
It's effecting lots of tables that I have inside toggles that aren't filling the whole width of the toggle. I can change the properties of each table individually and it works, but i have several hundred tables, and I'd rather just do it in the style.
This problem was first noticed in 5.3, and i have now got the latest 5.4.0 Build 1201 and it's still happening.

Thanks, Mark
Martin Wynne

Re: Table style change doesn't save

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Mark,

H&M treats 100% as a special case, and reverts to autosizing. I'm not sure if this is a feature or a bug. :?

When I want to set a full width manually, I always set 99% instead. You lose a few pixels, but not enough to notice.

regards,

Martin.
Mark_Hazeldine

Martin,

that's a great tip. It works pretty well, although i can't seem to find a way to centre the whole table, which is a bit annoying. Also it doesn't seem to work if I have a table inside a toggle which is inside another toggle. Even though it says in the properties that it's 99%, when it publishes it shrinks to fit the text inside it like the fit page width setting does. I'm wondering if this has more to do with Microsoft gremlins than H&M though.

Mark
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Mark,

The "fit to page" part isn't a bug because that is actually a width of 100%, there is no difference. However, it is a known issue that tables set to 100% width do not get the 100% set in WebHelp, we're just looking into that. Setting to 99% is a good workaround for the moment.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Mark_Hazeldine

When you say web help, do you mean Html Help? This is where i'm experience the issue. I don't publish to Webhelp at all.

Thanks, Mark
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Mark,
Mark_Hazeldine wrote:When you say web help, do you mean Html Help? This is where i'm experience the issue. I don't publish to Webhelp at all.
No, I did mean WebHelp, HTML Help is CHM. But the same would apply there, because that is also an HTML-based format. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Mark_Hazeldine

Hi Tim,

further to your tips, I've been using the 99% width pretty much constantly since your last post, and in general they work as intended, but i'm still getting the table widths shrinking when used within some toggles. As that something that's fixable? Or is it an html/chm issue?

Mark
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

The 100% fix is already included in the 5.5 update which should be released shortly. You can then set table widths to 100% and this will be explicitly set in the output. If you like I can mail you a link to the current beta, just let me know at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) . :)
Regards,

Private support: