image link\insert error after .chm conversion

Please post all new bug reports for Help & Manual 5 here.
Richard Shaw

image link\insert error after .chm conversion

Unread post by Richard Shaw »

I have converted a .chm into a help and manual project and found after conversion that a series of .gif files in one topic were showing the wrong image. Reselecting the correct file using the insert->Image dialogue (using the thumbnail view to ensure I was selecting the correct file) didn't help, the existing incorrect image was shown. Moving the images to a new folder, renaming them and inserting the renamed images did get round the problem.
This is slightly worrying as if I hadn't had to update the topic for custom builds, I probably wouldn't have spotted the problem...
Regards,
Richard
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: image link\insert error after .chm conversion

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Richard,

What probably happened is that the CHM contained sub-folders with multiple images of the same name in different folders. Help & Manual's method for handling images makes your projects very easily portable, but you do have to avoid images with duplicate filenames because it searches through all your image folders and inserts the first image it finds with a matching name.

However, the current version 5.5 also includes a change that prevents overwriting duplicate image names when you are importing CHMs that contain images in internal folders like this. The images are now differentiated by adding their folder names to the file name. You can update by installing the current version on top of your existing version. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.