Allow Duplicate Topic IDs

Please post all new bug reports for Help & Manual 5 here.
William_

Allow Duplicate Topic IDs

Unread post by William_ »

Hi,

When trying to make a help project for 2 versions of the same software I find this problem:

I copy a topic tree branch and mark the original for one build of the project and the copied branch for the other build of the project. The copied branch has all its topics renamed with _2 at the end along with all the topic id. When setting the topic ids to be duplicates of the originals I get an error message.

I think it should allow this since the topics are part of different builds. Perhaps it could just give a warning on change and also a warning on compile (if there is a conflict in the particular build of the help file)

As it is we opt for two help projects.

Thanks.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Allow Duplicate Topic IDs

Unread post by Tim Green »

Topic IDs in the same project space must be unique, this is an absolute requirement that cannot and will not be changed. You can get around this by using modular projects (see the sections on modular projects in the More Advanced Procedures chapter of the help). Then you can save your replaceable branches as separate modules and include or exclude them as necessary. You will still get massive errors if you include two modules that result in duplicate IDs in the same build, but as long as you avoid that you will be fine.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
William_

It is disappointing that blank and duplicate ids are not allowed.
William_

Hi,

I have found the section regarding IF statements, and it allows for custom BUILD IDs to be used.

Thanks,