Screenshot toggle inside expanding text toggle and PDF

Please post all new bug reports for Help & Manual 5 here.
cueman

Screenshot toggle inside expanding text toggle and PDF

Unread post by cueman »

I've looked in the docs and couldn't find anything relating to this, but if you create a screenshot toggle inside an expanding text toggle, and then publish to PDF, the resulting section in the PDF looks wrong. (And by expanding text toggle, I mean an expanding section and not expanding inline text)

Specifically, images are not resized so that if the displayed image is too wide, then the width of the whole expanding text toggle is increased to match the width of the screenshot. If this is wider than the width the PDF allows, then the excess is clipped so that you don't see it.

Any text in the expanding text toggle is shown with the same width, so it's not just the image that runs off the end of the page, but all of it.

I did find a workaround, but it's pretty ugly. Inside the expanding text toggle, if I use conditional output markers so that I have a screenshot toggle when not PDF, and just a simple (full size) image in PDF mode, then it works. The screenshot toggle has its "Print: Expanded" option ticked, so it seems like my use of conditional markers should not have been necessary.

The problem with this workaround is that when I'm editing the document, I now see both the screenshot toggle and the full size screenshot.

Is this a known problem, or is there something I can do to make the screenshot toggle behave properly inside an expanding text toggle in PDF output?

Thanks,
Paul
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Screenshot toggle inside expanding text toggle and PDF

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Paul,

I just tested this briefly and it's working fine for me. My guess is that you may be using an outdated Help & Manual installation. Get the latest version here. A number of changes have been made to the handling of the expansion of images in tables in PDF over the last few months, so you do need the latest version for the best performance with this kind of thing. (An expanding text toggle always has its expanding text inside a table). If this doesn't help please mail a small demo project illustrating the issue to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we'll check it for you.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
cueman

Unread post by cueman »

I've emailed a sample minimal project with the PDF output showing the problem. My H&M says it is version 5.5.1 build 1296, and that this is the latest available.

I can uninstall/reinstall if you want.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Follow-up: The problem is being caused by the fact that you were manually setting your two image versions instead of letting Help & Manual do the resizing for you. There appears to be a small error in the output code that is preventing Help & Manual from resizing the larger image automatically for the PDF page when you do this. We're going to look into it, but you can fix it very easily as follows:
  1. Double-click on the screenshot toggle to open the toggle dialog in Help & Manual.
  2. Uncheck the "Picture" checkbox in the "When collapsed use different settings..." section.
  3. Set the "Thumbnail:" setting to about 40% to automatically resize the preview version of the thumbnail toggle.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.