Minor UNDO issue

Please post all new bug reports for Help & Manual 5 here.
rackerson

Minor UNDO issue

Unread post by rackerson »

Using the latest H&M (v5.6.0 build 1340) on a 32bit Vista laptop.

I started a new project. As my first action, I did a screen capture. The capture worked correctly and my image was inserted into my help topic. I realized that I needed a slightly different image captured so I tried to use the UNDO option on the Write Ribbon tab to remove the image. The option was greyed out.

I realize what I did was not keyboard-based editing, but it WAS an edit to my project. Shouldn't the UNDO option have been enabled?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Minor UNDO issue

Unread post by Tim Green »

There are a few things that are not included in Undo, unfortunately. That's one of them. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
David Makulec

Unread post by David Makulec »

Yes -- and in a related vein, updating a previously-inserted screen capture will not, in and of itself, mark the topic as revised.

I find this irritating -- and inaccurate -- so whenever I update a capture I also make a bogus text edit, save it, then edit out the bogus change and save again, so that the topic will be marked as revised.

Yuck.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi David,

Hmm... since screen captures are saved in separate graphics files editing the screen capture doesn't make any changes in the topic. You're accessing the graphics file via a link in the topic, but that's basically it. You could also edit the graphic separately without opening HM at all and it would have the exactly the same effect. In that case I don't think it would make sense to mark the topic as changed, and editing the graphic via the topic is really the same. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
David Makulec

Unread post by David Makulec »

Tim --

I see your point.

But I remain grumpy about it :wink: because the content of the topic is *not* the same.