Nailed annoying spell checking bug

Please post all new bug reports for Help & Manual 5 here.
Fotis Papadopoulos

Nailed annoying spell checking bug

Unread post by Fotis Papadopoulos »

At last, I found out why H&M reports spelling errors but cannot automatically correct them (and sometimes does not underline them). When < or > are used in the text, H&M is unable to automatically correct them. There are combinations of lower or greater than symbols that prevent H&M from underlining them too.

For example if you write

"When the area is < thvn 250 acres"

thvn will be underlined, but H&M will be unable to correct it when you press CTRL+F7.

This also happens when you insert pictures within the text, but haven't figured out exactly when this happens.

If someone else has already pointed this out, ignore this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Nailed annoying spell checking bug

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Fotis,

Confirmed, we're looking into it. Thanks for reporting this! :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Tim, Fotis,

this is correct, it's a feature and not a bug. All text in brackets is considered markup code (HTML, XML, ...) and deliberately ignored. If you want the spell checker to check this text, disable the option "Markup" in the spell checking options.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Fotis Papadopoulos

Unread post by Fotis Papadopoulos »

Alexander,

Say I have the option enabled, and I press CTRL+SHIFT+F7. The program checks all pages and it does detect 3 spelling errors in a certain page. But when I go to that page and press CTRL+F7 it detects none. Shouldn't it ignore these errors when I press CTRL+SHIFT+F7?

By the way, the way I understand markup, is when the "<" sign is immediately followed by a letter, i.e. <b and not by a space, typically expected when the less than sign appears in normal text and not in markup language. In other works, writing "if a < b then c = d" is not markup language :-)

Something similar also happens when I insert images in text. In that case, misspelled words are underlined, but the spell checker ignores them.