Printed PDF drops pages

Please post all new bug reports for Help & Manual 5 here.
Ed Dressel

Printed PDF drops pages

Unread post by Ed Dressel »

I have generated a PDF document from my own template and it looks great in Adobe Acrobat X (I own the editor). When I go to printing, random pages are skipped (even though they are in the original document). I started printing on page 187 (the section I just modified), and it drops/skips printing the following pages: 188, 190, 191, 193, 194, 195, 197, 199, 200, etc. There does not seem to be a pattern (e.g. every other page).

I switched printers and it did the same thing.
I switch computers and used a standard Adobe viewer (version 9.4.6) same results.

I uploaded the PDF into a ZIP file here: http://www.tbinc.com/misc/TRAKOverview.zip. The section I wanted to print was TRAK Programs/Paycheck Calculator in the bookmarks.

I am glad to send you the original project, just provide an e-mail address that I can send a link to a ZIP file.

Ed Dressel
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Printed PDF drops pages

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ed,

The support mail address is always available in the Help tab. This is a very weird phenomenon and we'd like to check it, but the PDF on its own won't help. Please mail links to both the PDF and the project along with a copy of your problem description to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we'll check it out. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ed Dressel

Thank you. I have sent it.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Ed,

The issue only appears with the right-click print function in Acrobat and Reader. If you select Print... in the File menu and then specify a range to print you get all pages. We're looking into the reasons for the other problem but that is a workaround for the moment. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ed Dressel

Thank you--I'm glad you saw it as well. (I've been training my users to print from bookmarks for a long time).

Have a great day.

Ed Dressel
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Ed,

It turns out that this is really a "feature" of Acrobat and Reader. It will happen with any PDF you try to print from the Bookmarks list (which is not really a TOC). It only prints the page the bookmark refers to, it doesn't occur to Adobe that the user might want to print the entire text from the bookmark position to the next bookmark. So if the entire topic is on one page you get it, otherwise you don't. Brilliant. :frustration:
Regards,

Private support:
Ed Dressel

WOW!!! A bit stunned. (I've told my users for years how to print a chapter really quickly, I guess I never tested it). How could a company be so bright (ie Adobe) and implement something so wacky? Thank you for your research.