Problem with Modular help project

Please post all new bug reports for Help & Manual 5 here.
dina_hirundo

Problem with Modular help project

Unread post by dina_hirundo »

Hi,
I have something strange with my modular master help, Example.chm (it's the second type of the modular project when master and child projects are separate help files and mereged at runtime, when available).
1. When I open Example.chm and there are no other child chm files at that folder "Auditing of security events" is displayed. It's a Windows help which locate there: C:\WINDOWS\Help\audit.chm.
When I renamed it the correct structure is displayed on The Table of Contents section.
2. The second problem is similar to the first. One of the child project should be called as 'audit.xmxz', the output chm file shoud be called as 'revizor.chm'. When I create the modular master help with this project, "Auditing of security events" (the title and the content from C:\WINDOWS\Help\audit.chm) is displayed instead of correct 'revizor.chm'. If I rename 'revizor.chm' to 'audit.chm' then the title and the content are fine.
PS My English is not very well, so I'm ready to clarify misunderstandings if it's necessary.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Problem with Modular help project

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dina,

When you are creating modular projects the CHM files MUST have EXACTLY the same names as the Help & Manual project files, otherwise links will not work correctly. This is essential. So audit.hmxz must create audit.chm, it won't work correctly if you do not follow this rule. So if you want revizor.chm you must rename the project that creates it to revizor.hmxz and re-insert it in the master project.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
dina_hirundo

Unread post by dina_hirundo »

Thank you, Tim.
The second problem is solved.
Do you have any ideas about my first question? Why I see information from Windows help (Auditing of security events) when I open separate master modular chm file?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dina,
Why I see information from Windows help (Auditing of security events) when I open separate master modular chm file?
Sorry, I misunderstood that question. This is probably because of the name duplication. The Windows version of audit.chm will be registered in the Windows Registry, and if this happens then it will have priority. Your help or application will normally get that first, even if you actively try to call your copy from your program folder.

Since the problem is that you have the same name as a registered Microsoft CHM the only way around it is to change the name of your file. Even if you register your file you will still have a conflict, and I am not quite sure which would have priority -- maybe neither.

In case you are interested, HTML Help files are registered in this key in the Windows Registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\HTML Help

Doing this makes it much more likely that your CHM will be found correctly, particularly if it is part of a modular help system being referred to by other CHM files (the files must still be in the same folder, however). To register a file create a new string value where the name is the name of the help file to be registered (with extension but without path) and the value is the path alone. If you take a look at these registry keys you will find plenty of examples there of help files that are already registered.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.