epub creation errors

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

mwyatt

epub creation errors

Unread post by mwyatt »

Using H&M 6.0.2 I have a similar problem - though only about 12 errors per publication. See below.

Would you kindly advise how we deal with this.

Kind regards,

Mary

ERROR content.opf 2 155 value of attribute "unique-identifier" is invalid; must be an XML name without colons
ERROR content.opf 9 118 value of attribute "id" is invalid; must be an XML name without colons
WARNING OPF/Case study tick 32.png -1 -1 Filename contains spaces. Consider changing filename such that URI escaping is not necessary!
ERROR -1 -1 could not parse OPF/assessment_of_a_claim.html: duplicate id: overview-table
ERROR -1 -1 could not parse OPF/assess_the_situation.html: duplicate id: overview-table
ERROR -1 -1 could not parse OPF/for_the_employee.html: duplicate id: overview-table
ERROR -1 -1 could not parse OPF/injury_management_disability_management_and_rehabilitation.html: duplicate id: overview-table
ERROR -1 -1 could not parse OPF/previous_episodes_of_work_abse.html: duplicate id: overview-table
ERROR -1 -1 could not parse OPF/return_to_work_appraoches.html: duplicate id: overview-table
ERROR -1 -1 could not parse OPF/the_first_48_hours.html: duplicate id: overview-table
ERROR -1 -1 could not parse OPF/the_first_five_minutes.html: duplicate id: overview-table
ERROR -1 -1 could not parse OPF/the_individuals_approach_and_beliefs_and_attitudes.html: duplicate id: overview-table
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: epub creation errors

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Mary,

These errors are caused by configuration errors in your project:

ERROR content.opf 2 155 value of attribute "unique-identifier" is invalid; must be an XML name without colons
ERROR content.opf 9 118 value of attribute "id" is invalid; must be an XML name without colons

In the Project Explorer go to Configuration > Publishing Options > eBooks > ePub and remove non-alphanumeric characters from your book ID. Handling of this is going to be improved in the next maintenance update of Help & Manual 6, but it doesn't hurt to change the ID to be correct yourself. :)

WARNING OPF/Case study tick 32.png -1 -1 Filename contains spaces. Consider changing filename such that URI escaping is not necessary!

This just means that you are using graphics files with spaces in their names in your project, which is simply asking for trouble if you are generating HTML-based output. Never use any files with spaces or special characters in their names. Also, don't use spaces or special characters (anything non-alphanumeric except the _ underscore character) in your project names, because a number of HTML file names are based on that.

ERROR -1 -1 could not parse OPF/assessment_of_a_claim.html: duplicate id: overview-table

These errors are caused by using the same ID for multiple tables on the same page. My guess here is that you have copied the tables with offset icons in their corners from Help & Manual's own help. These don't cause problems in normal web browsers, which are more forgiving, but ePUB is very strict. The offset icons will probably not work in the majority of ePub readers anyway, so I would just use plain tables here without the icons or the IDs.

PS: Please don't post HM6 questions in the HM5 section if you can avoid it. I've split the question and this part of the thread off and moved it.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
mwyatt

Unread post by mwyatt »

Hey Tim,

Thanks for your wonderfully quick reply. We are non techies here, and will have a go at sorting out these problems using your translation of the validation errors.

Your help is much appreciated.

Mary
mwyatt

Unread post by mwyatt »

Hi Tim,

Your advice has helped and we have fixed most of the problems (mainly by removing the ID from the properties section of the tables).

The remaining problems are:

We don't have an ID in configuration settings. I tried inserting some simple numbers in there but no joy. Can't see any info on this in the help file, can we ask for your advice once more.

Mary
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Mary,

There are some changes in the handling of IDs and other things in ePUB in the maintenance update due out next week. This may fix this, I'm checking on this and will let you know. However, and this is important, your ePUB will be automatically invalid if you don't give it a proper ID. Ideally, you should fill out all the information fields in the ePub/iBooks configuration section.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

The next update includes several improvements for ePUB in particular. The duplicate IDs will be reported in the compiler log already, with links to the topics where they occured. This makes it easier to locate and fix them.
That's been addressed already, will be included.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
mwyatt

Unread post by mwyatt »

Thanks guys, we will wait for the update. Cheers, Mary