Exclude Images when Publishing

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Bob MacLeod

Exclude Images when Publishing

Unread post by Bob MacLeod »

I want to publish my manual so that editors can read it. Because of this, I want to exclude the images from being printed, which will reduce the pages produced substantially. Is this possible? The only workaround I can figure out is to just delete the project search path; that at least reduces the images to a tiny icon each.

(And on the side, as a freebie, can someone explain to me how to search for more than one word in the forum? When I searched for exclude images or "exclude images" or +exclude images, I got the same results every time: It found hundreds of entries with "exclude" in it. But I want to search for BOTH words together, only. Is that possible?)
Winsteps

Re: Exclude Images when Publishing

Unread post by Winsteps »

Adding to Bob's "on the side" comments, a similar "exclude images" search problem applies to the Zoom Search in HTMLHelp. So my HTMLHelp webpages also include a site-specific Google search box. This does find search patterns like "exclude images".
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Bob MacLeod wrote:(And on the side, as a freebie, can someone explain to me how to search for more than one word in the forum? When I searched for exclude images or "exclude images" or +exclude images, I got the same results every time: It found hundreds of entries with "exclude" in it. But I want to search for BOTH words together, only. Is that possible?)
Hi Bob,

Forget the forum's own search. Go to Google instead and enter

exclude images site:it-authoring.com

It's producing 104 results at present.

Or

"exclude images" site:it-authoring.com

for a phrase search.

That's not producing any results. I don't think there is a way to exclude images from the compiled output, other than wrapping each one in conditional text tags for a custom build.

regards,

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Bob,

For HTML you could "exclude" the images with a css rule enclosed in a conditional comment but that won't help you in printing. There's no global option for excluding all images on export. However, you can include all the images and reduce your paper consumption to zero by using a PDF for proofing instead of a printout... 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Aitch

Unread post by Aitch »

I know this is a longwinded way, but how about using conditional text on the images?

Create a new build status called Proof and set all the images as If Not Proof.
When publishing, select the Proof publish and that 'should' work.

~waiting for Tim to tell me off~ :)
Version 9.0.3 Build 6380

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Always check your spellar and gramming before you publish!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Heidi,

There's nothing wrong with that, it's just a bit of a pain to have to do it manually if you have hundreds of images in your project. You could grep it in on the source files, of course, but not everyone feels comfortable with that. And then you also have the tags on all your images, which might be annoying... :?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Update: We just discussed this in the team and decided to post a poll to see what sort of functionality people would like to have for proofreading. So vote away and add comments to the thread as well if you like:

http://helpman.it-authoring.com/viewtop ... 22&t=11615
Regards,

Private support:
David Makulec

Unread post by David Makulec »

TIm --
However, you can include all the images and reduce your paper consumption to zero by using a PDF for proofing instead of a printout.
Well, of course.

And you could make a PDF of a much smaller file size without the images.

And there's at least a remote chance my folks would be more willing to review, say, a 200-page PDF (w/o images) than a 700-page PDF (with).

In my particular case, I *need* to have the images as well as the text reviewed.

But I'd enthusiastically support a no-images output option.