Suggestion for new topic default text...

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

itexnz

Suggestion for new topic default text...

Unread post by itexnz »

Hi just a suggestion, I think it would be better if the default text for new topics was "Content coming soon" rather than "Enter topic text here."

That way, if one of these new topics accidentally ends up in a customer's hands they will a little more encouraged that it was intended to just give them a heads up on what will be coming soon - rather than a heads up on my mistake! LOL

There doesn't seem to be anywhere this text is defined in the HMXP - I'm assuming it's hard coded?
David Scott
Documentation Infrastructure Consultant
https://www.sourceone.co.nz
SourceOne. Documentation, engineered.
John Waller

Re: Suggestion for new topic default text...

Unread post by John Waller »

Good idea.

Personally I'd like to see the default text as a H&M preference or variable so that those who need to customize it can do so however they wish.
Regards

John Waller
v.6.2.2 Build 2636
itexnz

Unread post by itexnz »

Yes. That would be most helpful - I have another suggestion to make in a minute too...
David Scott
Documentation Infrastructure Consultant
https://www.sourceone.co.nz
SourceOne. Documentation, engineered.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

The most flexible option for this would probably to have the contents loaded from an XML snippet file by default, which could be replaced by a different template snippet if you choose to do so by selecting a topic template when you create the topic. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Update: This is actually already possible, at least within your current editing session. First you need to create a topic content template using the naming syntax templatename.template.xml and store it in in your project folder. The first time you create a new topic you will need to select the template manually. After that, it will be preselected for creating new topics for the rest of your current session. The only disadvantage is that you need to select the template again the next time you start Help & Manual, because it won't remember your selection between sessions.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Update 2: We have now added this function and it will be included in the upcoming 6.2 update. If you store a topic template called default.template.xml in the project folder then it will be selected automatically for new topics, but you can still change this to another template manually before clicking OK to create the topic. :mrgreen:
Regards,

Private support:
zoltansoos

Unread post by zoltansoos »

Excellent suggestion and implementation. That's why I love H&M and EC Software. Try this with Adobe....
Thanks for your attention,
Zoltan