Expand - Enlarge Image Toggles in CHM

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Expand - Enlarge Image Toggles in CHM

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Mary,

Please don't go back to version 6, you would really create more difficulty for yourself by doing that. Those aren't different options -- they are really exactly the same options, just organized a little differently with automatic selections. The objective was actually to make them clearer and more easy to understand.... :roll:
  • Physical Image Size (100%) is the old setting. It just inserts the image exactly as it is, with no adjustment.
  • % of physical image size is the old scaling option. This is static scaling, with no responsive change.
  • % of page width, maximum is physical size is almost always the best setting now. Choose this and make sure that the width is set to 99.90%, which it usually is automatically. Then the image will always stay within the window but it will never get bigger than its natural 100% size. So it will be like the first option if the page (or the table cell if it is in a table) is big enough, but it will shrink to fit if there is not enough space.
  • Scale to full page width 100'% will always fill out all the available space. With this, the image will get bigger than its natural size if the page gets bigger. In most cases you won't want this, but you might sometimes.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Tim,

Surely "physical" image size is meaningless and confusing? An image can only have a physical size when it is printed on paper. "Logical image size" would be better, measured in pixels (dots).

Mary, what exactly are you trying to do? Sometimes it is just better to write your own code to get exactly what you want -- that's why H&M has an Insert HTML Code Object option. For example screenshots of 1-pixel line graphics look awful when resampled, up or down. Almost all the devices any of your users are likely to be using have screens at least 800 pixels wide, so if you create screenshots as PNG images 800 wide they will fit at 100% and never need any scaling.

regards,

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Martin,
Martin Wynne wrote:Surely "physical" image size is meaningless and confusing? An image can only have a physical size when it is printed on paper. "Logical image size" would be better, measured in pixels (dots).
I agree (and didn't write those particular captions) but it's really difficult to put something like this comprehensibly in a small caption. The alternative would perhaps be "native size" or "pixel size", but there are all sorts of caveats there too. Even if you write something like "unchanged" size that's also not really true as soon as you start to display on high-resolution devices with virtual pixels.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Mary van Kemenade

Unread post by Mary van Kemenade »

Thanks for the reply. The explanation helps quite a bit.
What I am trying to do it work with the images best I ca. I have thousands of images added to multiple manuals as toggles. The image in most cases is above then below explaining text. I added them all as toggles as at the start that seemed to be the way to go. My biggest problem is I am not a tech person. I work with the software best I can and with good instructions I can typically figure it out. I can edit XML but do not know how to create new lines. For example I today started working with a premium skin I found one I like but I do not know how to edit. The font for the topics when published is not correct, all the sub topics are fine but the header topics not.. My guess it something in the baggage files but I cannot seem to figure it out.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Mary,
The font for the topics when published is not correct, all the sub topics are fine but the header topics not.. My guess it something in the baggage files but I cannot seem to figure it out.
The fonts for your topic headers in the header box and the headings in your topic body are not defined in the skin. That all comes from your project itself. You will get the fonts there you define in the styles you define for your headers and headings -- or the fonts you apply manually if you format them manually instead of using styles (not recommended).

The header style applied automatically is Heading1, unless you change it actively, the styles you use for headings inside the topic are up to you.

If the fonts look correct in your project but not in the CHM you may have chosen a font that is not available there. In CHM files it is best to use only standard fonts like Arial and Times New Roman that are guaranteed to be present on every Windows computer.
Regards,

Private support:
Mary van Kemenade

Thanks for quick reply. Sorry for all the questions. I assumed the font was in the skin. I am trying to use font Calibri. I think I have set the styles properly I set them up under Write, Styles. I did do a global change to the font last year. Well as global as I could it was a lot of manual update and still some sections seems wrong. It prints correctly in other skins and when I publish to CHM format with no skin but when I pick the ebook format with any of the skins WebHelp_(whatevercolour) that is when the font is not correct. I have published and opened the manual on the same computer so I would not imagine that the font could be missing. the Calbri font is part of our branding so I really wanted to use that. Can you think of anything else I can check? the styles all show Calibri as the font from what I can see. And the Keywords is using the wrong font also...thank you
Mary van Kemenade

Usually it is me, this time I really think it is not. I tried again updating my project. Font type and colour is not correct for topic headers so I created and entirely new project and still font type and colour is not correct when published as Ebook with skin is not correct. Perhaps this means it cannot be changed? or am I still missing something?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Mary,

Everything is exactly as it should be. Your mistake is to assume that the TOC (Table of Contents, what you refer to as the "menu on the left") should have the same formatting as your headings. That is physically impossible, would look terrible and would make the TOC almost impossible to navigate. It has fonts set in the skin and those should really not be changed.
Regards,

Private support: