Editing the WebHelp Menu in the skins

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ray Rippey

Editing the WebHelp Menu in the skins

Unread post by Ray Rippey »

Hi,

I managed to edit a skin and save it with my own logo. However, the text on the upper right on my index.html page shows the original "after opening the skin, go to configuration.. etc. Along with the menus. Which of course I did... but could not find an editor for the menu or the text.

Originally I did see the code for this in the html. I switched it to simple, now the code is gone in the html (in the skin config), but it still publishes.

First, can I edit the menu and that text at the top without editing the html.. and why is it still showing up anyway, considering the html got changed when I clicked on the simple tab.

Thanks,

Ray
VMT
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Editing the WebHelp Menu in the skins

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ray,

To edit this, make a copy of the .hmskin file in your project folder so that you can edit it (if you haven't already done this), then open the .hmskin file in Help & Manual. You can open it like a normal project with Open Project, you just need to select .hmskin as the file type to open in the Open dialog in order to be able to see and select the skin files on your disk.

Then look in the Project Explorer on the left and scroll down to Configuration > Publishing Options > WebHelp > Layout. The things you need to edit are stored in the source code of the Layout template, which generates the index.html file in your WebHelp.

IMPORTANT WARNING: Don't switch back to simple layout mode tab in skins with edited source code! Doing this will replace your edited version with the default template and delete your changes. You will be warned if you try to do this, and this is a warning you should take seriously. This is particularly important when editing pre-designed skins, as switching to simple mode there will delete all the custom code and make the skin unusable.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.