Table's title withot page breaking

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

VictorL

Table's title withot page breaking

Unread post by VictorL »

Hi!
I use tables with titles in PDF.
Sometimes when the page breaks the title remains on previous page but the table is on next one.

I tried including titles in tables heading (Number of heading row = 0 in Edit table properties > Table properties). Then I added row before first row and made it invisible. After it I typed in an invisble row the title. This way no equal indents both title inside invisble row and left table border (see picture below).

What to do?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Table's title withot page breaking

Unread post by Tim Green »

Did you set the property "Table can split to the next page"? If you do this the header should be repeated on the next page, and it should not be possible to have a header on its own.

Make sure that the topic text placeholder in the Topics section of your PDF template is not too high. For best results it should be a maximum of 3 lines high and it should be exactly the same height as the band that contains it (no space above or below the placeholder in the band).
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Thanks!
Tim Green wrote:Did you set the property "Table can split to the next page"? If you do this the header should be repeated on the next page, and it should not be possible to have a header on its own.
I can but what it solves?
The reason is having one and only table title before table placement... and it can be but what to do if the page breaks... the title is on one page but the table is on another page... No need to repeat same table title on every page the table is... :mrgreen:
Tim Green wrote:Make sure that the topic text placeholder in the Topics section of your PDF template is not too high. For best results it should be a maximum of 3 lines high and it should be exactly the same height as the band that contains it (no space above or below the placeholder in the band).
I don't know how PDF template settings can help to make as I wrote in an above post :?
Tim Green
Site Admin

I can but what it solves?
If you don't activate this option tables will not break correctly.
I don't know how PDF template settings can help to make as I wrote in an above post
The height of the placeholder affects how items break to the next page in significant ways.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Tim Green wrote:If you don't activate this option tables will not break correctly.
Tim, all I need is a fine result :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

It's impossible to know what is happening just by looking at screenshots. Please mail me a small demo project at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) with a sample table that is behaving like this and the .mnl file you are using to generate the PDF. Please set the XPS Document Writer as your PDF reference driver when testing so that we will both be using the same driver.
Regards,

Private support:
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

I'll try it...
Thanks!
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Hi!
Tim, I've sent the test project.
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Tim, looking your letter, I see you'd like to tell... that
Using Keep with next paragraph equals to press keys CTRL+ENTER (see picture).
Tim Green
Site Admin

Using Keep with next paragraph equals to press keys CTRL+ENTER (see picture).
It's not the same thing at all. CTRL+ENTER is a hard new line, which creates a new line within the current paragraph. You will still need to set the "Keep lines together" attribute if you don't want the paragraph to break in the middle of the paragraph. Both "Keep lines together" and "Keep with next paragraph" are special paragraph attributes for RTF and PDF, that are also available in word processors like Word. They prevent page breaks within paragraphs and between paragraphs.
Regards,

Private support:
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

OK!
Thanks... but the placing whole table on one and only page is an exotic option :wink:

Tim, I'd like to know if it can be done in H&M the table which not having heading row but with above Keep... option we "glue" every title for proper column (see picture).
Last edited by VictorL on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Green
Site Admin

VictorL wrote:Thanks... but the placing whole table on one and only page is an exotic option
I know, it's not a good idea. But you wanted a table that didn't break, so I told you how to do it. If you want a table that can't break before a certain point you just need to use "fixed" paragraphs as described in the first three rows. Then the table can only break in the third row or later, for example.
Regards,

Private support:
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Tim Green wrote:I know, it's not a good idea. But you wanted a table that didn't break, so I told you how to do it. If you want a table that can't break before a certain point you just need to use "fixed" paragraphs as described in the first three rows. Then the table can only break in the third row or later, for example.
Thanks... you're totally right :!:

Tim, I'd like to know if it can be done in H&M the table which not having heading row but with above Keep... option we "glue" every title for proper column (see picture).

Or someting like in MS Word (Page layout > Columns > Two columns)...
Or two "seamless" tables (two different tables but it seams like one table to add titles for every table)...

two_in_one.png
If it can't be done, may second part of common title string (as title B on picture) to place as first title B symbol would be above a proper column 1?[/i]
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Tim, that's OK!
For 1st question one can use Keep... option for row heading style to pin the title to table. This way we can make a split table but it's not for title and first row (they're united)...

For 2nd question one can as solution above but there's a little trouble. This is if there's a table with one big row, this row is divided by two parts (see picture)...

The rest is GOOD.

Thanks!
Tim Green
Site Admin

You're having these problems because you are trying to do things that are not really a good idea in the first place. If you just let the table break normally you will not have these problems.
Regards,

Private support: