Refresh topic data

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

VictorL

Refresh topic data

Unread post by VictorL »

Hi!
I'd like to know how the refreshing mechanism works in H&M.
All is clear... The author types text, inserts tables and graphics and all these things reflect before his/her eys in real time...
But we're working with a remote data and sometimes the users prepare graphics and these pictures are refreshed in its own H&M folder...
But there begins the most interesting thing -> if I work in the topic the user to change the picture, I'll see these changes stepping from this topic to another and back... More if the picture began much more then before it reflects in first displaying (as a little picture before editing). To see it originally, I need to click on this picture opening dialog Insert picture and then closing it.
The Refresh changes button doesn't help in this way of working.
Maybe we do something wrong?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Refresh topic data

Unread post by Tim Green »

The topic will reload completely if you select another topic and return to it. The "Reload Topic" function in Project > File does the same thing. There is no "Refresh changes" function. The "Refresh Project" function in the Project tab is only for projects under source control.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Thanks!
Tim Green wrote:The topic will reload completely if you select another topic and return to it. The "Reload Topic" function in Project > File does the same thing. There is no "Refresh changes" function. The "Refresh Project" function in the Project tab is only for projects under source control.
Tim, it works for text only but not for graphics :(
The steps I made:
1. Being in working topic I opened the picture by the Image Edior button.
2. Edited the picture, saved it and closed Image Edior.
3. Returned to the working topic.
4. Refreshed the topic as you adviced (no result for an edited picture).
5. "Walked" up and down the TOC but the picture remained as an old one.
6. Opened an old picture to insert and closed this dialog -> the picture was refreshed.

Don't know why this for graphics :x
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Victor,

Hmm... at the moment it is really not refreshing images with the Reload Topic option. However, it does if you switch to another topic and back to the topic containing the image (save the project first, of course). Alternatively, double-click on the image to open its insertion dialog and then click on OK to close the dialog, and that will also reload the image. It's not a major issue, but we will check on it. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Tim Green wrote:It's not a major issue...
If user occupies the picture by a graphical editor, does this restrict working with this picture to user in a proper open topic?
Tim Green
Site Admin

If user occupies the picture by a graphical editor, does this restrict working with this picture to user in a proper open topic?
No, that should not be a problem. That would only happen if the graphics editor locks the file while it is editing it, and most of them don't. And even if it is locked it is only locked for editing, you can still read it. You wouldn't see any changes made in the meantime without refreshing the image in the topic, but that is all.
Regards,

Private support:
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Great things as I see :)
Thanks!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Update clarification: The Reload Topic function only activates for the current topic if there are changes in the topic. It does not check for changes in linked resources like images. That is why it has no effect when an image file is changed externally. For that you can right-click on the image and select Picture > Reload in the context menu. Either that, or just switch to another topic and then back to the current topic and it will reload.
Regards,

Private support:
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Tim Green wrote:Either that, or just switch to another topic and then back to the current topic and it will reload.
OK... but it worked for a little picture only in my project -> the reason why I added this forum's topic :wink: