HM2GO Browser selection by command line

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Silas Tomkyn Combermache

HM2GO Browser selection by command line

Unread post by Silas Tomkyn Combermache »

Hello:
I looked at all the hm2go posts but found nothing relevant. I want send an address to hm2go and direct that it open a specific browser that is NOT the default browser. I use this line in a batch file, and it works fine: hm2go.exe /PRJ:"D:/user/sheikurbooty/god_is_great/mass_destruction/death_ray/user_manual/index.html".
I want to use my own browser eventually, but for the time being, I want to use a browser that is NOT the default browser, ie Opera etc. Is there some way I can do this?
thanks,
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: HM2GO Browser selection by command line

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Silas,

This isn't currently supported by the HM2Go command line. For it to work, you would need to specify the browser you want to use, including the entire path to where it is installed. That's fine on your own test computer, but can't know this in advance for your users, unless you specifically check for this information as part of the installation or configuration process for your users. If you just open the HTML file you don't have to know the browser installation location, because it opens in the default browser wherever it's installed. We're going to discuss this as a possible option for the future, but it would really be of limited usefulness because of the browser location issue.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Silas Tomkyn Combermache

How about using the %ProgramFiles%, I think everybody has this system variable, then search for 'Opera' folder with my installation program? the user preferences are just an ini file which I could modify and save before executing 'launcher.exe' and I should be hunky dory. This limited area to search, and only once because I could put that path-file string for the browser in my own ini file in %USER%\APPDATA (I am winging it here)
I am thinking that by using Opera I won't ruffle too many feathers because nobody uses it and it works just fine, and it is free.You know more than I do, but it seems these problems are not that difficult, and it would make HM2GO more versatile. By the way, will it run on OSX? What do you program in?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Silas,

In the next major version of Help & Manual we're going to look into adding an option for this. It would be possible to have browser preselection for the main browsers (IE, Opera, Chrome, FireFox) because their registry settings are known and it would be possible to read them there. Support would not be provided for odd, minority browsers, however.

HM2Go is a Windows program, so it runs on Windows only. :?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Silas Tomkyn Combermache

Guten tag (end of my German):
The new version is out but I have not seen any discussion of changes to hm2go. Have any improvements been completed? I am still interested in packaging a browser with my installation and using hm2go.
thanks
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Silas,

The current version of HM2Go still only references the default browser set by the user. We may add an option for alternative browsers for local testing with Help & Manual, although you can already do this by copying the URL from your default browser after your published WebHelp has opened automatically in HM2GO after publishing. Doing this at the user end is more problematic, because it would be necessary to find out a) If that browser is installed at all and b) where the user has installed it. The potential for errors increases significantly with this, and that is why we have not done something like this yet. The demand for it is not very high and opening in the default browser is reliable.
Regards,

Private support: