How to decompress HMXZ from command line

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Roman Turcanu

How to decompress HMXZ from command line

Unread post by Roman Turcanu »

Is there any way to convert an HMXZ project to HMXP from the command line? So far I have not been successful. The command I am using is:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files (x86)\EC Software\HelpAndManual6\HMXConv.exe" C:\Users\[...]\Documents\HMX\MyProject.hmxz C:\Users\[...]\Documents\Projects\MyProject.hmxp /decompress
But decompression fails with the message: "Cannot open source file exclusively". Any idea what might be causing it?

I am able to convert to HMXP manually but I really need the command line for automation reasons.

My Help&Manual version is 6.5.5 Build 3020.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: How to decompress HMXZ from command line

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Roman,
My Help&Manual version is 6.5.5 Build 3020.
That is out of date. Please always check that your copy of Help & Manual is up to date before posting questions or writing to support. You can download the installers for non-current versions of Help & Manual here:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html#oldver

The /decompress reference needs to be removed from the help. That has actually not been supported since Help & Manual 4, when XML was still an output format and not the native storage format for all projects. It is just an oversight that that is still included in the documentation.

Since Help & Manual 5 the original project format is already XML. The HMXZ project contains exactly the same files as the HMXP project. No conversion is required. The HMXZ file is just a zip archive, which works in exactly the same way as DOCX files, which are also normal zips. To convert HMXZ to HMXP you just need to change its extension to .zip and then unpack it with any zip utility. The main project file inside the HMXZ is always called "project.hmxp". It is generally best to change that to the name used for the HMXZ file. When converting back you need to remember to rename it back to "project.hmxp", otherwise it won't work.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Roman Turcanu

Unread post by Roman Turcanu »

Thank you, Tim!

I used 7-zip and it works, so my problem is solved now. I was not sure why the project name is always "project.hmxp", but now that you clarified I will just rename it. Thanks again!
Tim Frost

Unread post by Tim Frost »

You probably know this already, but it may be worth recording in this thread that you can use -tzip on a 7zip command line to avoid the need to rename the file to .zip before unpacking it.